The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 1, 2010, 12:20 PM   #1
Boomer8404

Finishing Question?

OK, so Ive got my new to me Glock 23 that I did a little frame sanding on. I tend to have a really high hold on the grip so naturally I suffer from the "Glock Knuckle" on my middle finger because of the blocky trigger guard, so I decided to carefully take a Dremel with a sanding drum to it. I now have it adjusted like I want it and was wondering if anyone knew of a good way to shine the plastic back to match or closely match the rest of the polymer factory finish. I was thinking of carefully and slowly rubbing the area with a little acetone, what do yall think. Thanks for any ideas.
Old July 1, 2010, 09:19 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Lacquer thinner should have no effect on the type of plastic Glock uses. It's intended to be solvent proof to most common solvents.

A better option is a plastic polish. You can buy plastic polishes at automotive stores where it's sold for polishing head light covers.
Old July 2, 2010, 08:49 AM   #3
mapsjanhere

Solvent is one of the worst options for "shining" polymers. They either swell the material, dissolve the surface into a sticky mess, or, worst case, allow the material to crystallize. Plexiglas type polymers become hazy with a single drop of acetone. A bit of jeweler's rouge should do the trick polishing. You can try heat, but that requires practice, and a gun frame is probably not what you want to use as your first practice piece.