The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 16, 2009, 08:56 AM   #76
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day. I have been told by some people that they have buried firearms at various locations. I personally don't know where to find any, but would not be surprised if there was a large number.
Old March 16, 2009, 04:35 PM   #77
Foxrr

I don't know about that one either. I do know that I was ropable about losing my lovely little Ruger 10/22 used to terrorise nothing but rabbits, but the buyback meant I lost about $20 on the value of the rifle. Could have been worse. Some blokes with very high value firearms actually made something of a killing when they handed them in.

Still, I swore I would never vote Liberal again while my rear pointed south! Haven't either.

The buyback was a huge farce. Because the Govt didn't want to upset shooters too much they then allowed licensed shooters to replace any lost firearm with an approved model, few questions asked. Since then, the number of firearms in the community has multiplied way over previous figures as the new laws have been argued and fiddled with by committees and lord knows who. It's cost the taxpayer more than it was worth except as a panacea, a placebo for the masses. Politics:barf:

Gun crime is still happening, mainly by the crim element who strangely haven't been bothering to license their equipment lately. And pollies are still saying how the buyback has been so effective reducing the number of guns in the community, and heap praise on ex-Prime Minister Howard for the circus. Spare me!
Old March 16, 2009, 10:08 PM   #78
fallingblock

Little Johnny 'got' a lot of 'em....

Quote:
I'm curious. I have read differing reports on the number of firearms that were turned in or registered after the regulation. Some studies have suggested that many Ozzies did not turn in their guns or register them, but just went underground, especially in the outback.

How much truth is there to this? Anybody know for sure?
But he certainly didn't get 'em ALL!

Based upon the import figures for Chinese SKS alone (one of those murderous, horrible semi-auto firearms now banned) the "buy back" netted less than half of the SKS imported.

A total of over 750,000 long guns and 68,000 handguns were confiscated from their legal owners in Little Johnny's hoplophobic orgy, but several states had not kept a complete registry before the event.

As a result, there's still a heap of unregistered firearms out there. Every state "Weapons Amnesty" surprises the police with what turns up.

Net result? The cost to the taxpayer was well over a billion AUD$ just for the pay out to legal owners and "lost business' compensation to dealers and importers. Winchester Australia soaked 'em 14 million for lost ammo sales.:

The ongoing cost to staff and operate the firearms branches and registrys for all of the states is several times that figure, and rising.

SO! Is Australia any "safer" now?

Firearms-related deaths continue to decline at the same rate they have since 1982 (14 years BEFORE the "Tough new gun laws":barf The police spend their time going from owner to owner to inspect storage facilities and overseeing every single (legal) firearms transaction, while drug gangs import whatever they want through Australia's rather vast and porous borders.

John Howard achieved nothing but scratching his anti-gun itch and demonising a lot of good citizens in the process. This is what happens when we elect little men with strange ideas.
Old March 17, 2009, 07:57 AM   #79
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Several posts deleted as off topic noise.

Keep it on track, gentlemen and ladies.
Old March 17, 2009, 05:44 PM   #80
R W

Howard's gun laws being as they are were helped by the failure of the "National Party" (part of the coalition) to stand up for the responsible people that they are supposed to represent, they also failed to stand up to
John Howard, this was aggrevated by the fact that the NP had several weak
links among their ranks. I have been told (by an NP staffer) that JH bluffed the NP by threatening to deny members a front bench position in government.
Ethnic and bikie gangs along with other criminals did not hand in their weapons, law abiding citizens are now paying the price for handing in their firearms.The so called do-gooders & politicans of Australia have a lot to answer for.
Old March 17, 2009, 07:37 PM   #81
Foxrr

'Hoplophobic'..I like that I had to look it up in my two thesauruses and dictionaries.
Only clue; my ancient schooldays Concise Oxford lists 'hoplite, n, Heavy-armed (sic) footsoldier of ancient Greece.'
Seems academia has a phobia about 'heavy- or heavily-armed'.
Hoplophobia phobia?

Let all this bull***t act as a warning to our Yank brothers. Even with Constitutional protection there are no full guarantees.
You will still be 'bearing arms' even with bans on this or that type. And so will the crims. When the Constitution was written, they hadn't even dreamed of semi-autos.

In the words of an old Kingston Trio song (showing my age): "This...could happen...to YOU!"

Just as an aside, here in West Oz we have to write a submission of intent/reason when first applying for a high powered hunting firearm license. If the word 'weapon' is used... forget it! Take up golf! I don't have a big problem with it but it shows the paranoia.
Old March 18, 2009, 11:50 AM   #82
Dingoboyx

I have read or been told, somewhere along the line that the reason JH was so fired up to get rid of the evil guns, was because His lovely wife was unfortunate to have lost her father to a gun related incident (out of respect, I wont go into it) Whatever I read or heard suggested, that Mrs H was the powerhouse (inspiration) behind little Johnny's mamoth effort (at our cost) to rid Oz of these horrendous weapons of death and destruction. I cant say if this is fact or fiction and have nothing to back it up with, and mean no disrespect to anyone. I just see it as a possibility it might have had something to do with what happened.

Muzza
Old March 18, 2009, 10:56 PM   #83
fallingblock

Canberra suffers from endemic hoplophobia....

Hi Foxrr,

It's a word coined by Jeff Cooper to describe those with an irrational fear of weapons.

Certainly little John and Daryl Williams are sufferers, as is Rebecca Peters and Jon Stanhope. In fact the entire Green Party is afflicted, among the many afflictions and affectations of its leader Bob.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoplophobia

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erm=hoplophobe

Quote:
When the Constitution was written, they hadn't even dreamed of semi-autos.
Yeah, well they hadn't dreamed of radio, T.V., computers, aircraft other than balloons and a lot of outer stuff. Freedon and the liberty to enjoy it aren't technology restricted.

I have encountered the aversion to the word "weapon" also.

What do they think a rifle is?

"Projectile launcher" comes to mind.

Or perhaps "Thingy with a spiral grooved tube"?

What disturbs me is the SSAA plays along and pretends that there are no "weapons" at any of its ranges. :barf:

Dingoboyx, Janet Howard is a very odd sort, and she certainly suffers from an incurable case of hoplophobia! I wish she'd taken up knitting instead.
Old March 19, 2009, 04:27 AM   #84
Dingoboyx

Knitting needles should be classed as a lethal weapon, a keen knitter could do alot of damage with one (or 2) of thse..... not to mention the crochet hook Dont knitting needles get measured by gauge? Scarey!

Muzza
Old March 19, 2009, 06:26 PM   #85
Foxrr

Onya F/block
Hoplophobia..for just a split second I thought it might be an aversion to kangaroos (needs help)
or worse, an aversion to beer (needs committal
!!)
Old March 19, 2009, 06:58 PM   #86
fallingblock

I have an aversion to kangaroos....

Maybe that would be "macropodiphobia"?

They keep jumping out in front of my 4WD...

Since we got the 'roo bar, the terror has abated.

To keep this on topic:

In the NT, before Howard's stupid Australian gun laws,
we carried a rifle and humanely dispatched injured animals
on the roadside.
Have you ever tried to euthanise a broken-pelvis beast
with only a shovel? :barf:
Old March 19, 2009, 08:30 PM   #87
jammin1237

noob, i was away on a break for a bit, read all the posts here and had a huge laugh reding them...wildlife management is a must gun control is not... i hope you didnt take any of my comments as an insult...here in the states the anti gun laws are increasingly getting worse also...

my comments on the cammel fart situation come from reading things like this...http://westinstenv.org/news/2008/11/...-cow-fart-tax/

just wondering how insane the government there is getting these days....

if you ever come across any local ranch hunting information, im interested...

cheers!
Old April 2, 2009, 06:15 AM   #88
N00b_Shooter

Sorry jammin1237, havn't read this post in a while. I'll keep my eyes open for ranch information but dont think i'll run into any. Also, you didn't say anything that would insult any Australian, we are all for fart jokes

If you ever get the chance to come over here and do some camel hunting give me a pm and i will try and help you with information on clubs and the paperwork.
Old May 2, 2009, 01:47 AM   #89
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day,

I'm in the process of getting a new firearm. Here is a copy of the Queensland application for a permit to aquire. See attachment. I must apply for permission before I get approval to purchase.

This is not an exact duplication of the format, but at least you will get a bit of an idea of some of the requirements.
Attached Files
File Type: txt permit to acquire sample - copy text.txt (8.4 KB, 30 views)