The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 20, 2015, 12:13 PM   #1
hfrank

NIB means Caveat Emptor for some companies

Fugate Firearms recently alerted me to the availability of a NIB second-generation Colt 1860 Army (Model F1200). NIB is specifically defined in the second-gen market as in “absolutely mint” condition (See Dennis Russell’s’ Percussion Colt Revolvers—The Second Generation: Collector’s Handbook & Price Guide, p. 56). I wrote to confirm the condition and received the following written response from Matt Fugate: “Why would I list it as NIB if it is not?” The superficial external examination permitted by Fugate’s no-firing / no-disassembly policy revealed no significant discrepancies. However, when I removed the cylinder as part of my customary “Safe Queen” preparation (which includes waxing all metal surfaces), I discovered that the nipple under the hammer was completely rusted shut and the entire rear of the underlying chamber was filled with a plug of rust, possibly a quarter inch deep. Fugate Firearms refuses to accept return of the piece, citing their no-disassembly policy. They dismiss the fact that the defect, which renders completely inoperable a piece that was both presented and reaffirmed in writing to be “factory mint,” could not be detected without disassembly.
Old February 20, 2015, 08:43 PM   #2
hartcreek

If someone had done a proper inspection even with out disassembly the problem would have been found. It is very hard to mis a rusted nipple so something aint right meaning possible fraud.
Old February 20, 2015, 10:30 PM   #3
GJSchulze

They misrepresented the condition of the gun. Sue them in small claims court if they are nearby. Contact the BBB. Threaten to tell everyone. Try Judge Judy. Just don't ever buy from them again because they can't be trusted.
Old February 23, 2015, 10:00 AM   #4
OuTcAsT

If it was purchased with a credit card, you can return the firearm and, dispute the charge, contact your CC company with the details. If it was paypal, you can do the same with them.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old March 1, 2015, 05:35 PM   #5
fugotti

When a customer buys a gun that is NIB unturned and has been in the box for 30 years with factory grease present, and proceeds to tell me he took the gun apart, cleaned it and waxed it. Yes, this voids your 3 day inspection. If this is out of line on my part then I am out of line. If you did not want to void the inspection, why take it apart, clean it and then wax it. A rusted nipple can be seen with no disassemble.

Our terms that are listed on our site and a link to our site provided with every e-mail.

Return Policy
We offer a 3 day no fire/no disassembly return policy (minus shipping charges) on all items. In the event the item's condition does not meet the buyer's expectations, notification must occur within the 3 day period of the item reaching your FFL dealer. Returned items must be shipped back within the 3 day period. All returned items must be returned in the same condition as they were shipped from us. All trade and layaway sales are final.
Old March 2, 2015, 08:42 AM   #6
Ultralight

fugotti--If "a rusted nipple can be seen with no dissemble" then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SELLING IT AS NIB????

Looks like you grossly misrepresented the gun. Man up and take it back.
Old March 2, 2015, 05:15 PM   #7
fugotti

Quote:
fugotti--If "a rusted nipple can be seen with no dissemble" then WHY THE HELL ARE YOU SELLING IT AS NIB????

Looks like you grossly misrepresented the gun. Man up and take it back.
I did not see any issues with the gun. That is why you get a 3 day no fire/no disassembly inspection.

Don't take it apart get you money back, take it apart you don't. What is so hard about that?

Not only did he take it apart he cleaned the factory grease off and then waxed it. No money back after all that for sure.
Old March 3, 2015, 12:15 AM   #8
Ultralight

I guess you have the right to conduct your business as you see fit, but that doesn't make it "right".

Last edited by Ultralight; March 3, 2015 at 12:50 AM.