The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 28, 2008, 08:54 PM   #1
CZ75-B

N frame to shoot IDPA

Ok guys i have this safe queen sitting around so i want to shoot it in IDPA or IPSC its a S&W Model 27 5'' barrel in mint cont. Id like to hear from any one on the pro and con of using this gun for IDPA or IPSC .Anyone know of any good holster out there for this gun
Old August 28, 2008, 11:53 PM   #2
glockopop

It's not allowed in IDPA because it has a barrel longer than 4". If you talk to the guy who runs the match, he'll probably let you shoot it anyway. It's less than ideal for USPSA Revolver, but if that's what you've got, bygolly get out there and shoot it!

I started shooting Revolver last year. I used my 6" Model 14 which is also less than ideal, but it was FUN! I had such a good time that by this spring I got a 625 which is the king of Revolver division. After all those reloads with speedloaders, using moonclips now feels like cheating.

Edit to add: For the holster, the Safariland Cup Challenge is a good way to go that's trouble free and relatively inexpensive, and it works with many different S&W revolvers. The most popular non-race holster seems to be the Blade-Tech DOH, while the most popular race holster seems to be CR Speed. No speed holsters in IDPA. The Blade-Tech DOH isn't IDPA legal either, but you can change the belt mount to make it so.

Last edited by glockopop; August 28, 2008 at 11:57 PM. Reason: holster info
Old August 30, 2008, 09:23 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

A33102

I shoot revolvers in USPSA competitions; I used GP100s, but switched to Redhawks.
Mostly.

My current inventory includes a 5.5" 44, and a 7.5" 357 Rarehawk.
(My prior inventory included 5.5" 357, 41, and 45 Colt Redhawks.)
I draw them from a Milt Sparks HSR.
I feed them with HKS speedloaders carried in those $5 Safariland metal-spring things (www.brownells.com).

I am not 'competitive', because moon-guns load (way way) faster, but I have a great time.....

I do not compete in IDPA anymore; I never competed in IDPA with my revolvers.
Old August 31, 2008, 03:02 PM   #4
RickB

I would also expect that you would be allowed to use the 27 for IDPA, to a point. If you become a regular shooter, whose scores will be posted along with those who comply with the rules, then you should expect to have to use legal gear. In Stock Service Revolver division, everyone has to use speedloaders, so the shooter doesn't have to choose moonclips to be competitive.
Old September 5, 2008, 11:05 PM   #5
mr kablammo

Good timing on this thread! I plan to use a S & W 'Highway Patrolman' at the next Steel Challenge match, 38 specials only. CZ, look for a Steel Challenge match near you. At the match in Bulverde, TX there are five targets and each is to be shot at least once. Therefore, one has a 'spare' for one miss. I have used a 'Combat Magnum' before but am really looking forward to trying out this new-to-me N-frame classic. It is a sturdy and handsome gun.

Regarding holsters, Steel Challenge requires OWB holsters, like IPSC. Looking through various catalogs I have settled on the Bianchi leather holster. I believe that it is the 5BHL. The L means suede lined. My N-frame was nicely reblued and I want to keep it as neat as possible. Check out the Bianchi 'holster finder' at the homepage.

Whoops, whoa Nellie... after locating that holster it appears to have an open access to the trigger. IPSC requires a holster that covers the trigger, so does Steel Challenge...

Hmmm, try the 111, Cyclone, part # 12682 for 4" barrel or 12686 for 6" barrel. I did not see 5" listed. There may be suitable IDPA non-leather holsters.

Well, I am kind of bummed, the 5BHL looks real spiffy.

Anyways, I'll check back in with results from the Steel Challenge match on 9-13-08. The N-frame shoots a bit high so I will adjust the sights and shoot at the base of the plates.

CZ, please post on your experience at the IPSC/IDPA matches. Be sure to get a lot of speed loaders.
Old September 6, 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
RickB

I use a Don Hume 721OT for IDPA. It's a pancake style, fits well, and is very reasonably priced. Reholstering is a bit of a pain, because the leather is contoured very closely to the gun, but you're in no hurry when you RE-holster, so it's not a big deal.
Old September 7, 2008, 10:11 AM   #7
WESHOOT2

rules

USPSA does not require OWB holsters in any Division.

IDPA forbids revolver barrels over 4", and there are also weight restrictions.
Old September 7, 2008, 01:30 PM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
Whoops, whoa Nellie... after locating that holster it appears to have an open access to the trigger. IPSC requires a holster that covers the trigger, so does Steel Challenge...
Check out this puppy, its as close to a Hoyt as you can get since Hoyt is out of business. I carried a Model 28 in a Hoyt while I was in LE. IMHO there is no better holster for a revolver. Its a break front, secure, its fast, and I believe its legal in IDPA matches.

http://nelsonleather.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=168
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 9, 2008, 06:14 PM   #9
mr kablammo

Per rule 5.2.6 the IPSC does not bar the use of any particular holster. However, later in the rules it is stated that the appropriate match official may bar the use of a holster deemed to be unsafe. Were I the MD, RSO, or such I would prefer not to be known as the official on duty at the match were 'One-sack Jack' earned his nickname while holtsering IWB. Even if one were not to achieve an 'orchiectomy by handgun' a possible wound to the thigh, knee, calf, foot is so much more severe than a shot in the dirt that the IWB must be practically, if not technically, barred from use.

On the plus side, regarding OP. The Galco Dual Position Phoenix Holster looks like it will fit the task. www.usgalco.com