The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2000, 05:45 PM   #1
Battler

A friend of mine just unearthed (in a deceased relative's stuff) some old rifles, including (he claims) a bolt-action detatchable magagazine-fed 410 smoothbore.

Any idea what this is?

thanks,
Battler.

[This message has been edited by Battler (edited August 13, 2000).]
Old August 14, 2000, 01:57 AM   #2
Clark

Yes, I am a qualified old fart.
In 1962 Savage and Mossberg made bolt action 410 shotguns that cost $20 at the Busy Bee department store. Those were the cheapest shotguns made at that time. My 25 cent allowance pemitted me to only aspire to own a 410. I was stuck with a BB gun [$10].

Today if you gave me a choice of a Daisy 25 or a bolt 410, I would quickly take the BB gun. Things have changed.
Old August 14, 2000, 07:04 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Like Clark said. There were a lot of these utility grade shotguns out there, kids and the economically challenged used them for pests,rabbits and uh, targets of opportunity.
Old August 14, 2000, 08:52 AM   #4
johnbt

My gun-trading uncle got one somewhere for next to nothing. We always gave it to the kid who needed to borrow a gun to go shooting with us. When you yanked the bolt open it went over your shoulder and into the weeds. Ah, the memories of youth. Thanks. John
Old August 14, 2000, 12:27 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Good friend's father has one of those Savage .410s. He uses it to keep rabbits out of the garden, and last winter shot a neighbor's Rottweiler with it. Dog tried to bite him, he got inside, got the shotgun, and when he went back out to make certain his wife was not in danger, the dog tried to bite him again. Boom.

------------------
Beware the man with the S&W .357 Mag.
Chances are he knows how to use it.