The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 1999, 07:13 PM   #1
stubby

Has anyone had luck using a squirrel call? I ahve hunted squirrels for years but have always just still hunted them. I would buy a call if they are worthwhile but don't want to waste the money if they aren't effective. Thanks! Stubby
Old June 9, 1999, 01:05 AM   #2
Ipecac

stubby, I used to feed myself on gray squirrels back in my college days, and I used an Olt squirrel call, the kind with the little bellows that you tap against your hand or gunstock. While I was never able to bring squirrels on the run it worked very well to get them to move just a bit, especially their tail. I used it primarily to spot a squirrel that I had heard but not seen, or to spot one that had moved out of sight.

For that purpose, it was very effective.
Old June 10, 1999, 07:57 PM   #3
bergie

That's right, they won't bring them running in, but they will often draw them out or get them to move or chatter back, making it easier to spot them. A couple of years ago, I read an article in which the author claimed to actually call squirrels towards him, within range for an easy shot. He claimed that using a squirrel call in combination with a predator distress call and making a thud and flopping sounds on the ground with something would bring out the maternal instincts of momma squirrel and she would come running. Have no idea if it works.
B
Old December 24, 2007, 03:49 PM   #4
banditt007

bringing this back from the dead. Just bought one of these was wondering what others have found when using them, and how best to work it. anywhere i can get sound recordings of squirrels to have something to mimic when practicing?
Old December 24, 2007, 05:00 PM   #5
tplumeri

anywhere i can get sound recordings of squirrels to have something to mimic when practicing?

I have a CD of the chipmunks you could borrow.........
Old December 24, 2007, 05:50 PM   #6
JWT

Had a squirrel call (Herters, I believe) when i was a kid. Never could get anything to respond to the thing.
Old December 25, 2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Kreyzhorse

I used to mimic their barks with a penny. Simply tap it (quickly and repeatedly) on your gun stock and you can come pretty close.

A wise old Indian taught me that, or, well, maybe I read it in some outdoor rag, either way, I don't recall the squirrels rushing me in a stampede.
Old December 25, 2007, 08:40 AM   #8
intruder

I love eating squirrel and have hunted then for years here are some tips

1. Make a load kissing sound using the back of your hand do this very rapidly.
2. Click two quarters together or shot gun shells.
3.When you know squirrels are in the area or in the nest dig up some small piece of grass about the size of a post card and turn it over dirt side up. Go back in to hiding when things settle down the squirrels will come to see what you buried.
4. Carrry some stones with you when the squirrel is on the other side of the tree throw some stone one that side so he will come around and give you a shot.
Old December 25, 2007, 08:53 AM   #9
CamoCop

i've had plenty of success with squirrel calls. i use it as a locator. i've never called a squirrel in but it will sure make them "bark" back where you can pin point there location.
Old December 25, 2007, 09:00 AM   #10
joab

I bought one of those bellows calls a few years ago and was able to get them within double arms length distamces, but thses were city squirrels and I was only doing it for fun

I have gotten vocal response while looking for them in attics by making the aforementioned kissing sounds along with squeaky clicking
I get a much more realistic sound and much better response with my front teeth out

If you are a true squirrel hunter you too will make the sacrifice
Old December 25, 2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Pahoo

I have used a variety of manufactured calls as well as home made. Have used most of what has been mentioned. Have found ,most or all will get their attention but not to a point of success that other calls have on other game. Besides the calls, I flick an old squirrel tail and that really gets there attention. Can get them to come around to your side of the tree. Have even used my bare hand and that works almost as well. Sometimes I just flick the tail without a call and watch the trees and if there is one in there, he will show.
Old December 25, 2007, 08:36 PM   #12
Couzin

Climb a tree and make a noise like a nut...

OK, OK... it's an old joke but something made me say it...