The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2016, 04:56 PM   #1
senecahornet

Wsf powder load for 380acp

I have been searching for loading data using WSF (Winchester special field) powder.
using 95 Gr. coated lead round nose bullet in my .380 Kahr.
Have been un-successful so far. the WSF powder is ranked #30 in burn rate with Alliant Herco at #29 and VihtaVuori N34 at #31. Anyone out there brew up a load using the WSF powder?
Old March 7, 2016, 10:35 AM   #2
Idaho Spud

WSF might be a mite slow burning for your app. I have WSF, but don't use it in 380 ACP. Slowest I use is Unique, and that's rarely. Bullseye or Titegroup works for me, depending on bullet.

Actually right this moment I'm using up some donated Win AA Plus (discontinued) in my 380's. Had no data so began with a below-start BE load and worked up to a satisfactorily functioning 380 load. Free powder is great.
Old March 7, 2016, 10:43 AM   #3
TimSr

Not a lot of load data for WSF in anything. I inherited a 1lb can of it. It works well in 9mm. I've also used it in 38 spl and it seems to work fine, but never found data for it in .38 either. From what I've read and extrapolated, the WSF pressure curve can fool you into thinking you are shooting a mild load, even though pressures are higher, so you really have to watch the upper published limits if you find any.