The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 17, 2001, 10:46 AM   #1
maxinquaye

How ofter do tube fed magazine springs wear out?

Hi all,

I keep my Mossburg 590A1 loaded and handy in case of burgulary, etc... I was cleaning it last week, and when I cycled all the rounds out of it, it seemed to have really low spring power for the last couple rounds. Anyone know how long these springs are supposed to last when the mag is kept full (8 rounds) at all times? Should I not keep it so full? I also keep my Glock 27 similarly loaded and handy - will the mag springs wear out eventually?
Old August 17, 2001, 11:16 AM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Some will say yes, some will say no. Mag springs is a long debated topic on TFL. Some say you can leave them loaded infinately with no ill effects. Some say to unloadt them periodically and let them rest. Some say to leave them loaded but not fully. I can't say for sure who is right. Your best bet is to get a spare mag spring for any mag that you keep loaded...just in case.

Old August 18, 2001, 05:58 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My HD 870 has been loaded most of the time since the late 70s early 80s, same spring, no probs.

ATST, having a spare isn't a bad idea, since tempering and wire differ.....
Old August 18, 2001, 01:25 PM   #4
clem

All springs will take a "set" after a time under compression. I suggest loading your shotgun, short one magazine round and checking with "Brownells" about a extra-power after market spring. I use extra-power springs in my Springfield & magazines, great preformance.
Clem
Old August 20, 2001, 12:36 PM   #5
EQP

I also have a 590A1 and did the same as you. Did some research and found out that the stock springs in the 590's are pretty lousy. I replaced mine with ones from Wolff and am a much happier camper. I also have a side saddle on mine so I only load 5 rounds into the magazine and have an extra 6 on the side saddle. This seems to work for me pretty well.

Ymmv,