The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Tom68

I understand shortage of 5.56... but 22 LR??

I went to Wally World to get a box of 22 LR to go plinking with my son. I fully expected to see bare shelves in 5.56/.223, 7.62x39 (as these calibers are most threatened by potential legislative action), and the more popular pistol calibers (just because that's how panic buying goes...)

I was shocked to learn that there hasn't been a 22 LR cartridge availble for sale in my little town since days after CT. Of four retailers in town who sell ammunition...zero inventory of the expected calibers, but I was really surprised about rimfire. Even the online suppliers i've checked are out of stock of almost all popular 22 LR ammo.

I've seen the finer points SEN Feinstein's proposed legislation, and monitored discussion here and elsewhere, and other than the large capacity magazines, I cannot come up with any reason 22LR could be affected by any bill that has any chance of getting through congress.

Maybe the panic buying of 22LR is just part of a larger fear of a new punative tax on all ammunition? Or am I missing something?
Old January 2, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2
UtopiaTexasG19

Lots of other posts on this subject. .22 is easy and cheaper to shoot than other rounds, is a great small game hunting round in a pinch for rabbits, squirrels etc. Can be bartered and used like money during unstable times. One of the few rounds that is not usually reloadable at home so when you are out, you are out.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:13 AM   #3
5whiskey

panic buying at its best. Everyone wants to secure their supply of plinking ammo indef. At least that's what I think. In '09 .22 ammo was affected as well, though not to this extent. It saddens me really... 20 little lives spark off such a debate that many on both sides don't take time to grieve for their loss. I'm not saying that we shouldn't work for our RKBA... the situation just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:13 AM   #4
Tom68

Whiskey, I think there's a whole lot of folks who feel exactly the same as you on this situation.

But, not to hijack my own thread, I did a quick search on this before starting a new one, but even though I recall a few posts here and there in the recent past, a search showed nothing specific to 22LR.

I agree on the non-reloadable aspect of rimfire... i'll admit I hadn't considered that as much. as for the bartering aspect? well, that never occurred to me before. But... the whole panic buying thing really does leave me cold, as I remember '09 all too well.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
UtopiaTexasG19

Having lived here on the Texas Gulf Coast my entire life I look at haveing extra ammunition for all my guns on stock just another preparedness function as having supplies on hand for a hurricane. Anyone around this area that does not have a small back up generator, fuel, fresh water source, long term food, candles, ammo. etc. is just eventually going to get in a bind when a natural disaster occurs. Life is full of "what ifs" so it is always better to be prepared to take care of family and neighbors. Todays plinking ammo may mean a meal in the future. I don't panic buy because it is not necessary in my case.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:36 AM   #6
jmr40

All of the Walmarts within 50 miles of here are out of 22's. Probably farther, but I know those are. But at least 1 local shop still has a good supply of the better ammo. No boxes of the cheap bulk stuff, but lots of target ammo.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:40 AM   #7
huntinaz

Bummer. I checked out the ammo selection at Walmart the other night just to see... they were out of 223 but still had 22LR in stock. In fact, 223 was all that was empty (that I took note of anyway).

After 2008, I had a lot of trouble finding 22LR for about a year. I traded for some at one point, privately. I learned my lesson and I have some on hand for a few years.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Can be bartered and used like money during unstable times.
I guess times have been pretty stable. I have yet to see anyone plop down a box of .22 for a Happy Meal.

Most people who shoot own at least one .22. If you are stocking up in fear of a shortage it only makes sense.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Webleymkv

Another factor may be that, over the past few years, "understudy" .22 Long Rifle versions of other popular guns have become quite popular. Prior to the latest panic, nearly every Walmart that sells guns in my area had at least one .22LR AR-15 style rifle. I suspect that as the .223 rifles and ammo ran out, people started buying the .22LR versions instead.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:56 PM   #10
FoghornLeghorn

This is silliness at its best.

I remember another panic (there really have been so many) where everybody was buying up all the small pistol primers. The rumor was circulating that the feds were going to outlaw the 9mm round, so, there went the primers.

But the large pistol primers were in abundance. I guess the panic shoppers didn't figure anybody could be killed w/a 45 ACP, etc.

Things will calm down.

Until then, I think I'll stop by Walmart and see if they've gotten anymore 22 ammo in.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:15 PM   #11
zincwarrior

Went to Academy todeay and discovered same. Seriously? Either paranoia is off the charts or the speculators have been going to town.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:51 PM   #12
UtopiaTexasG19

"I have yet to see anyone plop down a box of .22 for a Happy Meal."

Obviously you have not lived through the aftermath of a Hurricane where there is no water, electricity, credit card ATM's or grocery stores open for a month. I have on 3 occassions and on the last one to hit here in the Houston, Texas area the National Gaurd and every local government agency was busting their chops 2 days after the storm passed trying to get MRE's and ice out to certain parts of the city (Sheila Jackson Lee's District) to stop rioting and looting. Our modern society expects Uncle Sam to come to their rescue at a moment's notice and on occassion it just doesn't happen. Some have lived a blessed life and never expect there to be any shortage of anything at any time.

Last edited by UtopiaTexasG19; January 2, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 04:58 PM   #13
ohiomossyoak

My local Wal-Marts have been out of 22LR for months...
Old January 2, 2013, 05:11 PM   #14
4 Paws

Locally I haven't seen the shortage of 22's that other areas are experiencing. In fact last week I picked up a brick of American Eagle for just over $20.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:25 PM   #15
Chettt

I think that just a few people in each town buy up all the .22 because it's cheap and easy to do. That combined with a store that only receives a new shipment once per month creates a shortage for the occasional buyer.

I never see anyone selling .22 ammo for a profit.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:35 PM   #16
breakingcontact

Its just too easy to buy a brick here and there. People who got burned in the last ammo buying craze and people who have been wary of it happening again have been squirreling it away. Then when things went crazy...its easy to grab a few boxes of 22 especially if 223 is all gone.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:37 PM   #17
Rembrandt

As noted, it's only ammo that can't be reloaded.....usually keep 30K rounds on hand, more would be better, but that's an amount I'm comfortable with.
Old January 2, 2013, 08:18 PM   #18
Ichiro

So, you haven't see it either, even though you've experienced three hurricanes.

Quote:
Quote:
"I have yet to see anyone plop down a box of .22 for a Happy Meal."
Obviously you have not lived through the aftermath of a Hurricane where there is no water, electricity, credit card ATM's or grocery stores open for a month. I have on 3 occassions and on the last one to hit here in the Houston, Texas area the National Gaurd and every local government agency was busting their chops 2 days after the storm passed trying to get MRE's and ice out to certain parts of the city (Sheila Jackson Lee's District) to stop rioting and looting. Our modern society expects Uncle Sam to come to their rescue at a moment's notice and on occassion it just doesn't happen. Some have lived a blessed life and never expect there to be any shortage of anything at any time.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:31 PM   #19
whippoorwill

Quote:
As noted, it's only ammo that can't be reloaded.....usually keep 30K rounds on hand, more would be better, but that's an amount I'm comfortable with.
How can anyone possibly be comfortable with only 30K rounds on hand? Don't expect us to supply your needs when you run out due to your lack of planning and preparation!
Old January 2, 2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Some have lived a blessed life and never expect there to be any shortage of anything at any time.
Seems to be a shortage of ammo and guns right now due to panic buys.

Regardless of whatever my life experiences may or may not be I reckon I am still correct. Anyone who is stocking up on .22rf as a future trade good today will likely stand disappointed in the balance.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:07 PM   #21
Dragline45

It is a little ridiculous and completely frustrating. Ammo isn't going anywhere so I cant understand why people are panicking and buying it all up. I havent been able to find 9mm or .22 ammo at walmart for a few weeks and the gun shops around here are all sold out. I'm dying to get to the range but I do not want to shoot up the last of my ammo I got lying around. I forsee very little range trips for 2013.
Old January 2, 2013, 11:09 PM   #22
spanishjames

Quote:
Anyone who is stocking up on .22rf as a future trade good today will likely stand disappointed in the balance.
Or they could just shoot it at today's prices.

Quote:
It is a little ridiculous and completely frustrating. Ammo isn't going anywhere so I cant understand why people are panicking and buying it all up.
It could be heavily taxed, online sales could be banned, making it cost more because of local taxes. All of which would drive up demand, and of course the price.

What I don't understand is how anyone couldn't see this coming. The election was coming up, and most of us know what happened in 2008/2009. Colorado happened, and then Sandy Hook. No one has a crystal ball, but when the weatherman says a hurricane may hit in a week, you should go out and buy water, food, supplies etc.. Even though food, water, plywood, and batteries aren't going anywhere.

But I do understand it could be very frustrating. I went to WalMart to look around today, and just like everyone is saying, 22lr is all gone. They did have five Remington Golden Bullets in 200? packs for $10.00 and some Stingers , I passed. They had .40 and .380, but no 9mm. I don't shoot 5.56, but did notice the shelf where it's kept was bare.

I later went to a big LGS in the area, and they had plenty of 22lr in cases. Federal 525 packs were $22.99 a box. I've bought that same box for 19.99, but I still picked up a case of 10. Today they may have plenty at that price, but tomorrow, who knows.
Old January 3, 2013, 08:57 PM   #23
5R milspec

Yeah I was going to go squirrel hunting and found no ammo.I could have bought a few 50 count boxs but not for 6-10 a box.I guess I'll have to get the 20ga out and dust it off,but really don't want to spend that much on a squirrel.Boy whats going to be next on the cannot find oter than primers.
Old January 4, 2013, 08:12 AM   #24
Tom68

found some in pawn shop yesterday afternoon. a brick of white-box remington, plain jane lead bullet cartridges were $40; the clerk told me that the owner called the store that morning and told the staff to mark them up from $30, cause that's what he'll have to pay to replace them.

I understand supply and demand quite well, but like a lot of others I also recognize gouging. he very well may have to pay upwards of $40 for a brick next time, and price it accordingly... but he certainly didn't have to pay that for the stuff sitting on the shelf.

I bought three boxes of 50 instead, for $4 each. Still got gouged, but not as much. I can wait till sanity returns, and in the meantime I just won't shoot a lot of 22LR.
Old January 4, 2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Rifleman1776

My local WM is out of .22 ammo. They expect a shipment of the bulk in a few weeks. I stock up heavily to avoid possible high taxes and because of an admitted small survivalist paranoia. I have quite a bit of loaded cf ammo on hand which I can reload. My main shooting passion is traditional muzzle loaders with real black powder. Fortunately, I have a substantial stock of bp on hand. But, I'm trying to also build up my supply of soft lead.