The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 20, 2006, 03:38 PM   #1
Oregon Pastor

Browning Autoloading 12 Gauge

I can't find any model number. It is a squareback 12 browning autoloading shotgun.

Serial number is 3754xx

PV with a little lion or something over the top is stamped on it in a couple of places. There is quite a bit of engraving.

On the barrel it reads "Browning Arms Company St Louis Mo * Special Steel -- 12 Ga. -- shells 2 3/4"

On the left hand side there are three screws that are locked in place by another screw. On the right side there, is another screw that is locked in place by another screw.

What can you tell me about this gun?

OP
Old October 22, 2006, 01:51 AM   #2
Scorch

It is a Browning Auto-5 shotgun, commonly referred to as an A-5, so called because it has a 5-shot magazine. It is one of the best autoloading shotguns ever made. They are recoil operated. Read up on them and how to switch the friction rings setup on the magazine for different powered cartridges. They were produced from 1903 until 1990 (with a few interruptions due to wars and such). Parts are available for the A-5, and probably will be for many years to come. The magazine is fed from the bottom, and they eject through the port on the right side. There is a magazine cut-off that will hold rounds up in the magazine to allow the shooter to switch to another type of shell or a different shot size quickly without unloading. I hunt with one all the time.
Old October 23, 2006, 11:43 PM   #3
RedPhnx

Love my A-5, I have one of the early 1960's browning made in belgium with the ribbed barrel and also have the buck special barrel. This gun comes with me every deer season here in IL.
Old October 24, 2006, 06:53 PM   #4
clayking

I was at some friends house recently, when they asked me to look at a shotgun that an Uncle had left their son. It was an Browning Auto 5, in bad need of cleaning, which I cleaned up for them. Funny thing, is that I have the Savage replica handed down to me many years ago, although a good gun, I would rather have a Browning.

You can go to the Browning web site and download a manual for the gun, look up the serial number and get year of birth.................ck