The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 9, 2006, 05:04 PM   #1
Earnhardtjr3829

Browning 1900

Do you have any information on the Browning 1900? It appears to be a .32 automatic. It has writing in another language on it, presumably German. It had FABRIQUE NATIONAL on the side, along with Browning's patent. Any info on when and where these were made, or what they are worth would be helpful.
Old October 9, 2006, 05:40 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Browning 1900 was made from 1899 til 1910 by Fabrique Nationale in Herstal, Belgium. If it has markings in German they would have to have been added by a German distributor, they speak French and Flemish in Belgium and are dam sure not going to label their products in Boche.

Pictures or detailed description would be required to estimate dollar value, you have to have the condition and originality pinned down.
Old October 9, 2006, 09:14 PM   #3
Earnhardtjr3829

Ok I'll work on getting a picture on here. I just guessed at the language I had no idea what it was. I simply said German because my great uncle brought it back from WWII in the European theatre, but I didn't know where. The markings on it are definitely all original. The only paperwork I have on it is the one from the U.S. military allowing him to have the gun in the states, and putting it in his name. The functioning of the gun is perfect, it does have a lot discoloring on the blueing though.
Old October 9, 2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Germany picked up weapons from all the countries they invaded in the World Wars. I have read that the usual use for guns that they did not make themselves was for issue to occupying forces for defense from Resistance fighters. That way they did not have much worry about ammunition or spare parts as they would for combat weapons that got hard use.