The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 8, 2006, 04:22 PM   #1
hosssmith

Marlin .45/70

I would like some idea as to the value of my lever action rifle. It was built for black powder (according to my dad) and the only number I can find on it is on the bottom of the receiver. It displays no model number and the only other thing I can find on it are the makers name and patent numbers and the stamp, "45 GOVT" on top of the octagon barrel.

The number is; 1287
The name on top of the barrel is; "J.M. Marlin New Haven, Conn. USA"
There is a row of patent dates under the name. All of the years are two digit and my eyes are too weak to read all of them.

I am not a collector, this rifle and another are keep sakes from my dad. I have no intention to sell either rifle but am wondering if they are valuable enough that I should store them in a vault somewhere.
Old October 8, 2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Stiofan

Can't help you with value.

You most likely have a Model 1881. In that year the JM Marlin Company changed it's name to the Marlin Firearms Company. A few lever actions were still produced under the JM Marlin name in 1881 and 1882 however. The oldest serial numbers for this rifle that I could find started in 1883 with the number of 4096, so numbers lower than that would be in the first two years. They produced just over 2,200 in '83 so your rifle would most likely be made in the first year.

I suggest you head over to the Marlin Collectors Association for more info.
Old October 8, 2006, 07:11 PM   #3
hosssmith

Thanx

Thank you for your reply. I suspected the shooter was old but this is a bit of a surprise to me.