The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 29, 1999, 05:19 PM   #1
rfralin

Hello, I had posted this request in another section and was asked to move it here.
I ahve a question on the value of a shotgun owned by my father. It is a WW greener 10 ga shotgun that was made in 1875, has a side hammer configuration and damascus barrels. It has a serial number of 19040 and is a matched weapon. The specific for its matching are engraved on the weapon. It breaks down into 3 pieces and can then be reassembled.I do not believe that the weapon has been fired for a while and do not believe that it would be SAFE to fire the weapon but that should not detract from the value of a 124 year old weapon. Thank you for any information that you can give me.

Randall
Old September 29, 1999, 06:08 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

rfralin:
GREENER W.W. Mfg'r located in Birmingham England since 1829. Greener does not have current importaton into th U.S.. Until 1994 GibbsRifle Co located in Martinsburg WV was the U.S. Agent.

I dont't have any information in my library on the 10 Ga, however, you can contact the Company it is still in exixtace and the address is as follows:

Factory: W.W. Greener
One Belmont Row
GB Birmingham, england , FRANCE
FAX:011-4421-359-4300

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 29, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited September 29, 1999).]
Old September 30, 1999, 10:29 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Harley,

FRANCE? Are you sure that isn't a UK "zip" code? Should be something like B5 5SA.

Jim
Old September 30, 1999, 11:43 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

THE ZIP IS UK, FRANCE WAS INDICATED IN THE ADDRESS AND I'M NOT SURE WHY.

HJN
Old October 1, 1999, 09:08 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

THE NUMBER PRESENTED IS THE FAX NUMBER, NOT THE ZIP CODE. IF YOU HAVE FAX CAPABILITY, YOU CAN FAX THEM.

HJN
Old September 27, 2006, 05:57 PM   #6
gripster

Hi Harley. my name is Samuel Hazel. i have recently got my hands on a A. Greener 12 gauge double barrel side by side shotgun. 20" barrels and rabbit ear hammers. from what i have found up to this point is that Albert Greener did make some shotguns. there are no written manufacturing records that exist. i found a number under the breach when it is open. that number being HD-30. can you give me any information please. i have pictures if you need them.
Old September 27, 2006, 07:23 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't find any "A Greener" in any list of gunmakers. It was common for American importers around 1880-1910 to import low quality guns from Belgium and have them marked with names that were similar to the names of famous British or American makers, such as "Wesley Prichards" for Westley Richards, "Barker" for Parker. Some inexpensive guns made here also were given deceiving names. The intent, of course, was fraud, pure and simple.

The guns were at best utilitarian, at worst, plain junk, even when new.

Another word of caution. Even the best guns of that period were made with Damascus barrels. While some undoubtedly are still strong, most have had some deterioration over the years. I strongly recommend not firing any Damascus barrel gun, even with black powder loads.

Jim
Old September 28, 2006, 04:41 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Greener's book gives Albert Greener as one of the many trademark infringements common at the time. It is not a W.W. Greener, not connected with W.W. Greener in any way. It is a knockoff of unknown quality; probably medium to low.