The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 6, 2006, 07:48 PM   #1
bigautomatic

need info

My father bought a revolver new in Germany in 1968 (I think the year is correct), and I would just like to know a little more about it. I don't have very good pics, but it is a 44 mag revolver with "Liberty" stamped on one side of the barrel and "W. Germany" stamped on the other side. He says it is a Sig Sauer on a Colt frame. Just wondering if someone could enlighten us.
Old September 6, 2006, 08:43 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is probably a SIG-Sauer copy of the Colt SAA; no Colt parts were used. SIG-Sauer made those under its own name and also under several other names for US importers. They are well made revolvers. The problem is that some other German companies were turning out SAA type revolvers also and some were of considerably lesser quality.

Jim
Old September 6, 2006, 09:31 PM   #3
RJay

It may very well be a Sauer single action, but as a rule Sauer six-guns were sold under the Marshall designation (Texas Marshall , Deputy Marshall, Chief Marshall, Silver City Marshall, etc;ect). The name Liberty was used by Schmidt ( Herbert Schmidt), who also made copies of the Colt. Both firms made large numbers of these for export to cash in on the TV western craze. At one time there were over 30 diffrent westerns on the boob tube ( same season). Colt had stoped making the single action and a number of companys ( ruger inclued ) jumped in to fill the vacuum. Italy, Spain, and Japan also made Colt copies, some better than others. They all could be ordered from the Military Rod and gun Club at a very good discount. As Jim stated, the only thing Colt was the looks. Note, these were copys, not clones, Colt parts will not interchange and parts for these guns are getting rare, even grips. Gun Parts Corp. has some parts .
Old September 7, 2006, 07:25 PM   #4
bigautomatic

Thanks guys. And I'm pretty sure my dad purchased this gun at the miltary rod and gun club, as he also purchased a Sako Finnbear 30-06 at about the same time. If I'm not mistaken, he paid $40 American for the revolver and $75 American for the rifle. These are pretty much the only things he brought home, and would never part with either of them. The revolver has less than 50 rounds through it (most of them by me when I was younger), and the Sako has fed his family with at least two deer every year for my entire life (68 is the year I was born). Thanks again.
Old September 9, 2006, 10:12 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, RJay, thanks for reminding me about Schmidt. My aging memory told me there was another maker, but I couldn't think of it.

IIRC, they also were pretty good quality but I think not quite as good as Sauer.

Jim