The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 9, 2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Martowski

CZ-75 Triggers (Omega, Recurve, 85 Combat): What's The Difference?

I have a CZ-75b that I like but desperately want to love. I have smaller hands and the gun is definitely a fistful. I just replaced the stock plastic grips w/ CZ factory rubber grips, and that's a nice change. However, I'm wondering what options there are in reducing trigger reach.

I saw on the CZ Custom site that they sell a "recurve" trigger as well as an 85 combat trigger w/ overtravel screw. What's the difference between these, and which has the shorter reach? The recuve looks like it has a short reach but the 85 combat trigger indicates it was made for the shortest possible reach. Also, it is necessary to add the new trigger pin style option and the new return spring option when getting one of these triggers installed, and why would someone add those?

Finally, what's the difference between these options and the Omega trigger. The Omega looks like it has a recurve trigger... is that the only real difference? My basic question is that if I get the recurve or 85 combat trigger installed am I essentially turning my 75b into an Omega trigger gun?

Thanks!
Old April 9, 2011, 10:54 PM   #2
viking499

Check this out.....

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441792
Old April 10, 2011, 12:27 AM   #3
railroader

Contact schmecky on the czforum. He is working on reach reduction kits. http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=39012.0 You can also convert your gun to single action only which will reduce the trigger reach. Here's my 75b compact converted to SA. lMark

Last edited by railroader; April 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old April 10, 2011, 07:28 AM   #4
Pilot

I have large hands with long, thin fingers so the CZ-75's fit me perfectly. If you need help with trigger reach, the manual safet equipped CZ's can be carried cocked and locked. Problem solved. Or even the half cock notch may cure the issue, and that's the other way they are designed to be carried.

If this still doesn't work, you must have very little hands, but if you must carry hammer all the way down, then a different trigger may be the ticket.

Small hands = Carny folk.
Old April 10, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Martowski

Well, I won't put myself into the category of carny folks so I'll just say that the CZ is comfortable but not perfect for me right now.

Anyway, any big difference from he recurve trigger and the 85 combat trigger to anyone's knowledge?
Old April 10, 2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Willie D

The 85 Combat has adjustable overtravel (also lacks a firing pin block safety so the trigger is a hair lighter).

I think the "recurve" trigger is just the differently curved one found on the compacts.

The "Omega trigger" is a whole new firing mechanism which doesn't cam the hammer like the standard one.
Old April 10, 2011, 03:23 PM   #7
schmeky

Martowski,

The recurve trigger has a "tighter" curve, so if you have fairly thick or wide finger tips, the recurve can be uncomfortable. The 85 trigger is exactly the same as the 75 trigger, the only difference is the 85 has an over-travel for the SA.

You won't realize any difference in the trigger reach by swapping out the recurve for the 85 and vice-versa.

The link provided by railroader shows a pic of my Reach Reduction Kits. The "Standard" kit moves the trigger back 3-3.5mm's and makes a significant difference. The "Extreme" kit moves the trigger back a whopping 4.5-5.0mm's; makes a CZ feel like a totally different pistol.

I hope to have my website up in May, but I am shipping out various kits now.
Old April 10, 2011, 03:25 PM   #8
SPUSCG

The omega is for the new p07 and is supposed to have less moving parts.
Old April 10, 2011, 08:00 PM   #9
stevieboy

I own a CZ 75B SA. The single action only trigger is nearly straight and is easy to reach. I have no problem whatsoever reaching this trigger. I've read that it is easy to convert any CZ 75B to an all SA gun and that the conversion will involve a straight trigger and a shorter reach. For those of you who are interested in carrying, a CZ can be carried cocked and locked in SA mode.

I'm pretty pleased with the trigger on my SA. It has a bit of takeup, not much, and a small amount of camming before release. I very quickly got used to this, I hardly notice it when I shoot. The trigger has a nice, crisp letoff once it engages. I've read that the CZ custom shop can eliminate the takeup and the camming and make the trigger almost as crisp as on a 1911. I've thought about doing it but, frankly, the factory trigger is pretty good.

For those of you who care, I find that it is easier to reach the trigger on the CZ than on a Beretta 92F. I also find the SA trigger on the CZ to equal that of a Beretta and to be far superior to that of a Browning Hi-Power.
Old April 10, 2011, 09:46 PM   #10
Martowski

Schmeky,

So changing out a stock 75b trigger for a recurve or the 85 combat won't change the reach when using in single action?

Thanks for the info on your kits; sounds interesting.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:13 AM   #11
schmeky

Martowski,

I tried it, swapping out a standard trigger for a recurve, it sure looked like it would help. You can try it, but it's not worth the time and money, IMHO.
Old April 11, 2011, 07:50 AM   #12
viking499

Quote:
I tried it, swapping out a standard trigger for a recurve, it sure looked like it would help. You can try it, but it's not worth the time and money, IMHO.
I will also agree with this. I swapped one once expecting miracles, then the letdown. I guess it was OK, but I was expecting more.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:17 AM   #13
Martowski

I'll stick with my current trigger for now, then. Thanks for the insight on the past experiences.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:24 AM   #14
Willie D

Quote:
The omega is for the new p07 and is supposed to have less moving parts.

There are "Omega" versions of the 75b out now for the European market. Not sure when/if we'll get them.
Old April 11, 2011, 08:39 AM   #15
loose_holster_dan

Doesn't the spring flip modification shorten the pull too? Nothing better than free!
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old April 11, 2011, 10:00 AM   #16
Legumeofterror

There are a handful of 75B Omegas in the US. I happen to have one.

There are fewer parts in the trigger mechanism, and the pull is different/better than a regular B. They also have a different beaver tail, hammer, no magazine brake, diggerent front and back straps, and extended magazine releases. They wont take the Mec-gar 17 round mags though.

Old April 11, 2011, 11:23 AM   #17
Dashunde

I had the chance to buy a nib 75B with a Omega trigger at Cabela's last summer - another gun I wish I had bought.
That Omega was vastly superior to the standard 75b da/sa trigger - smooth & crisp.
I ended up buying a 75B SA and while its a nice gun its trigger and safety set-up simply sucks compared to my Para 1911.
The SA's trigger was super gritty and rough when new and still sucks after being polished and massaged per the instruction found around here (Its much better tho).
Way too much take-up and camming still.
I'm afraid to do anything else to it - with the safety on it cams enough that it would likely let go if I installed that competition hammer with its smaller sear/hammer interaction, theres too much "rock" and slop in the entire stock assembly.
(Yes, I know it should be fitted, but by the time I bought the hammer, lighter springs and had it all smithed I could easily have bought a MUCH nicer gun from another manufacturer)

Frankly, as functionally perfect as my 75B SA is - not a single failure - its standard trigger system falls far short of the crispness of my lowly G27.

Moral of story - snatch up a 75B with the Omega trigger if you find one, otherwise be prepared to tinker a bunch and spend more $$ to get a good (safe) trigger in a standard model.
Old April 11, 2011, 12:25 PM   #18
viking499

Nice comparison pics Legume
Old April 11, 2011, 12:32 PM   #19
Wishoot

Quote:
There are "Omega" versions of the 75b out now for the European market. Not sure when/if we'll get them.
I purchased one two or three years ago. The Omega trigger is excellent.

I've used Mec-Gar's 15 round mags without any trouble. Never tried the 17 rounder however.
Old April 11, 2011, 01:23 PM   #20
Legumeofterror

The 15/16 round mags fit as they are the same profile as the OEM CZ mags, because they are the OEM mags. The 17 round ones are wider at the top and will push the transfer bar spring out of place.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:17 PM   #21
dgludwig

It doesn't take much in terms of the length of a trigger "reach" to make a profound difference for an individual shooter who's looking for a better relationship in accessing the trigger with an index finger on the short side. Because the reach from finger to trigger is a pretty darned important consideration when it comes to a natural correspondence between trigger pull and the shot, if it were me and I had relatively short fingers, I'd give serious thought to trying schmecky's "Extreme" kit offering.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:23 PM   #22
viking499

Quote:
I'd give serious thought to trying schmecky's "Extreme" kit offering
I will be able to tell you about it in a week or two.
Old April 11, 2011, 03:30 PM   #23
viking499

Here is some pics of the Reach Reduction.

http://www.czforumsite.info/index.php?topic=39012.0
Old April 11, 2011, 04:04 PM   #24
pilpens

I used to have a CZ7B SA (old trigger) - the pistol was accurate and reliable but the trigger was bad compare to others. The additional cost of a trigger job and shipping was too much for me. I sold it and used the money to buy a 1911.
How does the Omega trigger compare to Sig DA/SA?
Old April 11, 2011, 04:41 PM   #25
Dashunde

^Based on the Omega I fondled it compares nicely to almost anything.
Its a real shame that they dont have Omega retrofits for standard 75's. (or do they make it and I've missed it?)