The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 30, 2008, 03:09 PM   #1
Sixer

Gun Belt? Ehhh...

Can someone please convince me why I NEED a $75 gun belt. My holsters hold up just fine on a normal, sturdy, leather belt.

I can understand the need if Im carrying a gun, pepper spray, handcuffs, walkie talkie, and shark repellant all at the same time... but for your average every day CCW'er is really necessary to wear a "special" belt.

I really am not trying to provoke anyone or hurt any beltmaker's feelings. It just seems like my money would be better spent on something else, like mags or ammo.

Im also not saying that I absolutely do not need a gun belt, I just need a little convincing before I start shopping around for one.
Old December 30, 2008, 03:26 PM   #2
LHB1

Try to convince you? Not me. Do it your way. But I WON'T carry a full size steel 1911 without an Alessi or Bulman 1.5" gunbelt. Actually I like Lou Alessi's gunbelts so much I wear one every day even if going somewhere that I can't CCW.

Last edited by LHB1; December 30, 2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old December 30, 2008, 03:28 PM   #3
coolhandluke4

They make all the difference in the world. I have one from Simply Rugged, as well as a few of their holsters. My brother and dad liked my belt so much they just had to get their own. And to boot I think his belts are $45. Check it out, simplyrugged.com
Old December 30, 2008, 03:36 PM   #4
rantingredneck

I thought I didn't need one too. Until I broke down and bought my $90.00 Beltman double layer horsehide belt. Best $90.00 on gun stuff I've ever spent.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 30, 2008, 03:37 PM   #5
rantingredneck

Quote:
Check it out, simplyrugged.com
I don't have any of his belts but I have one of his Sourdough holsters for my GP100. Good stuff there too.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 30, 2008, 04:00 PM   #6
redrick

It supports the weight of the gun better. I have a Rafter Shark and I wear it all the time, it is so comfrontable. Like you, it took me awhile to justify it, but it is worth it and after awhile, you forget how much you paid for it. I am going to buy another one just to wear with my dockers.
Old December 30, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
P35

who cares what you use, sounds like you are trying to convince yourself
Old December 30, 2008, 04:12 PM   #8
CortJestir

You don't need a gunbelt at all for CCW -- you just need a sturdy, stiff belt, period. It just so happens that gunbelts were made for this, but other belts may be able to handle the job. A belt that can support the weight of your carry rig will help you feel more comfortable and safer and can aid in concealing your weapon.

It sounds like you have a belt already that works just fine, so no need to get one specially made for carrying guns around, IMV.

I'll add though, you won't really know if you need one until you get one! In that case, buy a dual-layer gunbelt by The Beltman in size 38". When you get it and decide you don't need it, PM me and you can give it to me!!
Old December 30, 2008, 04:12 PM   #9
redrick

Somebody IS Not Playing Nice. Do you need a nap?
Old December 30, 2008, 04:22 PM   #10
Creature

Quote:
You don't need a gunbelt at all for CCW -- you just need a sturdy, stiff belt, period.
Agreed.
I shop on base at the Navy Exchange and I am not much a "clothes hound" like some of my compadres, many of whom are still trolling for a lady who will put up with their disgusting ways.

Anyway, I found a very thick and wide black leather belt with a double-pronged buckle. It is quite stiff and has worn absolutely as tough as iron. The belt is from BASIC CONCEPTS, which is a line of clothing that I consider to be the bargain hunter's fare...decent quality but very inexpensive stuff. You can find that line of clothing at Kmart as well.

I paid a whopping $19.99 for that belt over a year ago and have worn it nearly every day since...it looks virtually as new the day I bought it. It is the best belt I have ever found for wearing with holster. Just got lucky when I found it I guess.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:47 PM   #11
DWARREN123

Maybe not needed in all cases but try carrying a full size gun without a good holster and gun belt and you will see why they are needed.
Old December 30, 2008, 05:47 PM   #12
Sixer

Thanks for the replies fellas... I've only been carrying for a little over a year so Im still a newb at all this.

I guess I can see why you may want to spend the extra $$$ on a nice gun belt. Im not doubting that it's worth it.

I think right now, for me anyway, a good solid / sturdy belt should do the trick. I have a Sig 239 and a Glock 23, neither of which are relatively heavy.

When I do get that full size 1911 that I've been dreaming of I will most likely spring for a nice gun belt
Old December 30, 2008, 08:43 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

You can get by without one, but once you have a good gun belt, you won't ever go without one again. They do make a hell of a difference not only with full sized 1911s, but with light weight guns as well.
Old December 31, 2008, 10:04 AM   #14
FrontSight

Simply Rugged, nice, I have to look into that...
Old December 31, 2008, 10:10 AM   #15
Musketeer

For 2 years I have used a 1 1/4" black Don Hume leather belt and it still looks good even with a suit. I spent $60 on it if I remember properly.

Before that I probably spent $20 three times a year for belts that wore out, deformed or tore.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old December 31, 2008, 12:04 PM   #16
Shorts

I wear my own gun belts.

The difference between a casual leather belt and a specific sturdy gun belt is felt in the comfort of the carry. Unless you've tried a dedicated gun belt to compare to a casual wear belt, you won't feel the difference. For perspective I wear several different belts. A sturdy belt assures that you'll fiddle and arrange your carry less. It won't move or shift on you.

If you're content to wear what you're wearing, by all means, continue. But if you're curious about a gun belt, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the feel of carrying.
Old December 31, 2008, 12:59 PM   #17
Sixer

Quote:
I wear my own gun belts.
SO do you MAKE them yourself? If so, do you sell them online as well? I'd be interested to see what you have, thanks!
Old December 31, 2008, 08:45 PM   #18
Shorts

Quote:
SO do you MAKE them yourself? If so, do you sell them online as well? I'd be interested to see what you have, thanks!
Yes, I make them myself. I do not sell them online at this time. We're in the process of an overseas move so no orders in the meantime.
Old December 31, 2008, 09:38 PM   #19
armedandsafe

I have worn carry-specific belts and still have one floating around here someplace.

Many years ago, I purchased a leather money belt. Leather outside, leather lined and with a zipper on the inside. I put 10 bills, folded twice lengthwise into the money compartment and tried it. I am still wearing that type. I would still be wearing that very belt, I think, except that my belts seem to shrink every 5 years or so as I age.

I just purchased two of them to replace the one I bought in 2001. The reason I bought two is because they were on a 2fer sale.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=489048

I know there is a "don't buy from..." effort going on right now, but this is where these are found.

When I was in business, I would often have several thousand dollars on me in cash. That was the reason for the money belt experiment. Now that I retired, I don't carry as much cash, but still have the belt stuffed with bills. Twenty $1.00 bills is about all one can get in there, but you can replace the ones with larger denominations over time or for a trip.

Another advantage is that it is possible to find yourself at the side of the road with no bike, no luggage and nothing but the (now raggedy and tattered) clothes on your back. It is hard to lose your belt in this situation.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old January 3, 2009, 05:35 PM   #20
WESHOOT2

system

A holster is held by its belt; the two components make up your carry system.

Cheap?

Check the fine-service guys at Gunners Alley (I have a Don Hume I've worn for some years; granted its color has worn off way more rapidly than a better choice, like my Hellweg, which has three times the years, but looks newer).

Check Brownells.

Check Dillon's Mitch Rosen line.

Buy best buy once.
Same with holsters.

They are for securing your gun, and maintaining its position on your body.
Critically important.
Old January 3, 2009, 09:22 PM   #21
Logs

I bought a nice leather 2 inch belt from TSC and it does a great job. Cost $22.
Old January 4, 2009, 02:04 PM   #22
Sixer

Alright, Im convinced... It's definitely time for a "gun" belt.

Honestly, I never had any real intention of buying one... but if the price is reasonable and it really is that important to have one, then I dont have an excuse not to.

I really appreciate all the advice and will put everyone's recommendations to good use while checking around...

Dang, does this mean I have to buy one for work and one for regular carry?
Old January 4, 2009, 04:23 PM   #23
Wuchak

For a more casual non-leather belt that works well for outdoor activities or jeans take a look at the Instructor belts from The Wilderness. Very nice and reasonable for what you get.http://www.thewilderness.com
Old January 6, 2009, 09:47 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

about time, Sixer

Good safe smart (recommended 1.5" width) choices include:

Milt Sparks
Alessi
Rosen
Hellweg
Bianchi

Prices can vary, so shop around. Start at Brownells....
Old January 6, 2009, 09:55 AM   #25
TacticalDefense1911

Check out www.thebeltman.net as well.