The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2011, 02:10 PM   #1
kealil

Need help, clogged lee production pot IV

Hey all,

Finally got my six cavity 45 mold fixed. Lo and behold, after heating up the pot and pressing the pour lever, nothing comes out. FUUUUUUUU. I then left it at 10 for half an hour just be sure I didn't jump the gun and still no luck.

So what would be the easiest way fix this? Also note that I'm asking the raider way to get the lead out safely.

Thanks for the advice
Old September 27, 2011, 06:07 PM   #2
Mike / Tx

Well here is how I do it,

I have some small 1" or 1 1/8" long finishing nails which "just" fit up inside the spout. I fire up the pot and once the lead melts, I slip my thermometer in to be sure I don't over cook it. I run it up to about 675 degrees and let it sit there for about 15 or so minutes. Then using a pair of needle nosed vice grips I grab one of the small nails, holding it out to one side or the other, and clamp it in tight. Then I put a drip pan under it and start to work it up into the spout.

Usually it takes a bit of working it back and forth to get it up through, but once it's through I leave it till it gets hot. Then I slowly start to remove it and this usually clears things right up. IF you cannot get it through, use a propane torch to heat the nail up glowing red and slowly shove it in then. This will melt out any solid lead that might be plugging it up.

Hope this helps.
Old September 27, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Chaz88

I rarely have this problem but when I do I have a butane pencil torch that I use to melt the lead in the spout.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old September 27, 2011, 11:30 PM   #4
Stick_man

Once you get it cleaned out, I'd recommend you use the pot ONLY for casting. Use a different, non-bottom pour pot for smelting in to keep all the crud out of your bottom-pour.

Dirty alloys are probably the #1 cause of the bottom-pour pots becoming ever-dripping pots.
Old September 28, 2011, 12:30 AM   #5
kealil

^^^^yea i think Ill do that from now on.

I will give the nail thing a try. Cant hurt at this point.

Thanks for the advice
Old September 28, 2011, 06:37 AM   #6
GP100man

pot cleaning

As mentioned try to keep clean alloy in the pot .

Then get a dust mask , then heat the pot up & carefully pour it into ingots.

Unplug it & let it cool , then litely wire brush the crude out as much as you can.

Then fill the pot 1/4 with water & heat it up(low heat) & let it boil dry , just as the last of the h2o is going lift the handle to let it into the spout.

When dry put 1/2 pot of alloy in then finish the spout as needed . I use a bent heavy paper clip, it allows you to pick & scrape & have flow at the same time.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 1, 2011, 09:47 AM   #7
chris in va

I tried the nail trick a few times but accidentally discovered one of those 'windproof' BBQ lighters works a whole lot better. Just hit the spout with that flame for a bit and it melts the plugged up lead.
Old October 1, 2011, 06:03 PM   #8
snuffy

Quote:
Finally got my six cavity 45 mold fixed. Lo and behold, after heating up the pot and pressing the pour lever, nothing comes out.
Well,,,,---- if you were pressing on the handle, you were going bass ackwards. You have to lift the handle to get it to pour lead.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 1, 2011, 10:38 PM   #9
TXGunNut

Oops! I was learning all about how to clear my troublesome bottom-pour furnace and along comes Snuffy to point out the real issue. Good thread, anyways!
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 2, 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
GP100man

I thought so also

but did`nt want to say it !!

But yeah ,ya gotta lift most furnaces handles.