The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

View Poll Results: Are you able to test loads at home?
Yes 49 41.18%
No 70 58.82%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 12, 2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Tex S

Can you test your loads at home?

I was curious how many people can actually shoot and test their loads at home. I live in the city so I hafta go to the ranch or the range to do all of my testing. This unfortunately creates a huge bottleneck in the load development process.

So, where do you do your shooting/testing?
Old February 12, 2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Crashbox

I drive about 12 miles west to Custer Sportsmen's Club and do my shoosting there.
Old February 12, 2011, 05:08 PM   #3
dlb435

I built a bullet catcher from a 8" ID schedule 80 steel pipe. It was about 4.5 foot long. The bottom 18" was filed with sand. Worked great. No complaints from the neighbors as long as the garage door was shut.
Old February 12, 2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Rifleman1776

Back yard now.
When I lived in town we had a farm about ten miles out. I took my needing testing ammo with when I went to feed the cattle.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Nomadicone

I have to drive a bit now but years ago when I did more load development I used to have a portable press and I would load at the range. Saved a whole lot of time and components.
Old February 12, 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
chris in va

12 miles to Knob Creek.
Old February 12, 2011, 10:10 PM   #7
highvel

Walk out the back door and blaze away.......................I never could live where I was unable to burn some powder for stress reduction!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old February 13, 2011, 06:29 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

I walk out the back door and shoot off of my porch. The only problem I have is when the dang cows knock down my target stands.

I would have a hard time if I could not have a place to shoot when I want to.
Old February 13, 2011, 08:18 AM   #9
DiscoRacing

no...

But we do have over 100 acres we can use that is 10 miles away with our private range on it.
Old February 13, 2011, 09:01 AM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nope.
Old February 13, 2011, 09:08 AM   #11
mikejonestkd

I have a 5 minute drive to my local rod and gun club, which isn't too far at all.
Old February 13, 2011, 09:11 AM   #12
PawPaw

For twenty years I lived in the country, with a 250 yard range out my backdoor. My shooting bench did double duty as a picnic table.

Nowadays I live in the 'burbs and I have to drive seven miles to do my shooting.

This is probably the last place I'll ever live. I hate moving and I really like where I am now. The only down side is not being able to shoot.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 13, 2011, 09:49 AM   #13
jfg

300+ yards out the back door, hunt around the house also.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:06 AM   #14
t45

Im thinking about building a bullet trap and installing more ventilation in the basement for testing. May have to add sound retension to the walls and ceiling also to keep the miss's happy.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:31 AM   #15
Hog Buster

Yes.... One of the many good points of living in the sticks.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:37 AM   #16
M.O.A.

ive got 300 yards off the back deck and a steel set up at 200 and three yards

for anything over that have to make trip tp the coal mines and set the portable steel up

ding ding ding
Old February 13, 2011, 11:22 AM   #17
Stargazer

I have local ranges all around me here in North Plano, Texas. Used to have one in McKinney only 20 minutes away but the city passed a noise ordnance and run them off. Now I have a shooting lease 40 miles away in South Dallas. Well worth the drive, locked gate, shooting 7 days a week dawn to dusk, Tannerite OK, Rifle Grenade(practice) OK, ATV OK. This is about as good as it gets in the city/burbs as far as a place to shoot. I grew up able to shoot out the back door though so this has been an adjustment.

M70 Web Page
Old February 13, 2011, 11:24 AM   #18
BIGR

Could go out the back door and try them, but to be nice to my neighbors (sister) I go about 300 yards over the hill.
Old February 13, 2011, 12:03 PM   #19
Jim243

Very interesting question. The short answer is no I can't, but it would be nice to be able to. So I have to do things just a bit different.

A little background, I live in a townhouse (no back yard) in a small suburb just outside the third largest city in the US in a state that is so so on gun ownership (Illinois easy on buying, but hard on shooting) at least in northern Illinois. And I am right accross the street from our police station. I don't think they would be too happy on my testing loads.

For pistol I have four ranges within a half hour drive, but for rifle it is a hour and a half drive away (yes over 60 miles away). When I purchase a new firearm, I will spend one to two weeks on researching what I want to do and use. I will work up 4 loads for each weapon and settle on the best one and stick with that almost forever. I make up 1,000 for each gun once it is settled on the combo that works best for that weapon.

I spend more time on the books and internet than shooting. (reloading, but still get out to the range about twice a month, more in the summer)

I have been lucky so far in finding the right loads, now I just have to find the same components in a large enough quanity.

Good Shooting and stay safe.
Jim

Last edited by Jim243; February 13, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old February 13, 2011, 12:29 PM   #20
kraigwy

I have a 400 yard range out my back door, makes it handy. Also I have an openning in my shop that over looks my pistol and 100-200 yard rifle targets. Makes it nice to step from the press and fire a couple out the window.

I also set up one of those awaning tents with netting around the sides on one of my firing points. Saves me from chasing my brass all over the country and lets me shoot in the shade.

When I retired I swore I was gonna buy a place where I can shoot all day without leaving home. I done it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 13, 2011, 04:21 PM   #21
Tex S

It is surprising to me that the poll numbers are so close; a little less than half of us can shoot at home. I would not have guessed that.

Last edited by Tex S; February 14, 2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old February 13, 2011, 06:17 PM   #22
Stargazer

Quote:
When I retired I swore I was gonna buy a place where I can shoot all day without leaving home.
I am working on that issue right now. It may take a few more years but it will happen, I still got 8.5 years left in the game.

M70 Web Page
Old February 13, 2011, 07:26 PM   #23
Mattp27

I wish. That would save a ton of time going back and forth to the range. Even though its only 15 min drive.
Old February 13, 2011, 10:28 PM   #24
603Country

I retired a year ago and we moved to our country place. I'm happy to say that I can reload in my workshop, which is 20 steps from my shooting bench, which is under the roof and on concrete. The range is 100 yards. I'd like at least 200 yards, but that isn't really workable. It sure is nice on days like today to keep working up loads till you get it right, and never have to pack all the stuff and go to the range, pay money, and wait for a shooting spot.
Old February 14, 2011, 12:05 AM   #25
semi_problomatic

Knob Creek is awesome!! They'll let you shoot anything there as long as its not glass. Even full propane containers!! Used to shoot there when I was stationed at Knox.