The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 13, 2010, 02:35 PM   #1
bprevolver

Price increases on Percussion Revolvers

I have been conducting some research into the price increases that we have all seen in the past couple of years. A lot of this is due to the economic fiasco of out illustrious Obama’s total lack of how free economics work. As he prints money without any form of backing the value of the dollar on the world market depreciates, thus more dollars are required to attain the same revolver than it did two years ago. This could be temporary depending on how the government reshapes itself in the next couple of years. I have communicated with many people in both the collecting and shooting fraternities and many are putting off acquiring new revolvers thinking the prices will go back down. However, in talking with the importers of Pietta and Uberti percussion revolvers this is definitely not going to happen. If you check out the Web Sites of the major importers you will find the disclosure, “Prices may change without notice”. All have informed me that they have already been notified by the manufacturers that there will be a definite increase in prices of these revolvers in 2011. Also, more and more the manufacturers are requiring CASH from the importers rather than credit. This means they can only order in small quantities for resale. Many have discontinued offering percussion revolvers because of this. Uberti was absorbed by Beretta and as a result the delivery of percussion revolvers has become totally unreliable. I have been told that an order placed now may not even be filled until October of 2011, with a possible increase in quoted prices. This is also true of Pietta. Cabela’s is probably the largest retailer of Pietta revolvers and many are on back order. One reason for the low Sale prices that you see Cabela’s offer is an attempt to turn the inventory fast in order to maintain a high volume of new orders from Pietta and maintain a contracted price.

Another very important point is the sesquicentennial of the Civil War. Manufacturers and importers both sense that this also may cause a resurgence of interest in reenacting thus an increase in the sales of replica percussion revolvers.

The collector value of replica black powder revolvers is most definitely causing prices to increase. One of the most outstanding examples of this is the in depth research done by Wolf Niederastroth into the Centennial 1860 Army manufactured in Belgium by Centaure. This was the first mass produced replica 1860 Army that came into existence with the efforts of William B. Edwards. The prices of these revolvers were pretty much the same as their Italian counterparts through the years. With the information uncovered by Wolf the collectability of these revolvers dramatically increased as did their prices.

In short it is suggested that the prices of new replica black powder revolvers is not ever going to drop to the levels of two years ago. Indeed, right now the prices of rare markings on older revolvers are probably as low as they will ever be. As the number of collectors increase, so will the prices. As more information is uncovered the number of collectors increase.

Do you think the price of gasoline will ever be $1.25 a gallon the same as when a replica black powder percussion revolver was $69?
Old October 14, 2010, 01:43 AM   #2
arcticap

Between suffering the economic consequences of 9/11, paying for the creation of the Dept. of Homeland Security and two foreign wars while providing taxpayer rebates and tax cuts for nearly every American, enduring a stock market crash and the world economic calamities and natural disasters over the last decade, and with the Italians along with the rest of Europe paying the equivalent of $8 or more per gallon for gasoline, I think that the prices that we're paying for imported C&B revolvers and shooting supplies is very affordable compared to what the rest of the world pays.
Is there a country anywhere else in the world where anyone here would rather live in besides the good old U.S.A.?
I sincerely doubt it because if anyone thought so then they would move.

http://www.hasanyoneever.com/hot-top...countries.html

Last edited by arcticap; October 14, 2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old October 14, 2010, 12:15 PM   #3
McPhee

Don't seem too high to me if....

BP pistols don't seem high to me if you consider the workmanship. I bought two 1851's from Cabelas for $150 each on sale. A Ruger 10/22 from the local store is on sale for $199 with a blue barrel and plain birch stock. The Pietta 1851's have heavy steel and brass parts with walnut grips.

My wife spends $150 at the grocery store or a hundred bucks for quilt fabric.

You can't get much for a hundred bucks anymore that holds 80% value. That is the thing with guns that I like. They hold some value and some of my older guns are worth 3 times as much as they cost me.

I think BP guns from Cabelas or Dixie Gun Works are a bargain.

Just my 0.02 worth.
Old October 14, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Doc Hoy

BPRevolver

Great to read your name on the board.

I wonder what would happen to the price of such revolvers if China were to get into the market. The Chinese have proven that they are capable of producing relatively accurate and precise machine tools at a fairly low price. They are going to allow their currency to rise but not as quickly as other nations would desire.

I don't mean to turn this into a debate over South Bend versus Grizzly.

Any thoughts? How about a comparison of Chinese made cartridge weapons for which there is a near equivalent manufactured say in Israel, Russia or a European Union country....Germany, Belgium,?

Last edited by Doc Hoy; October 14, 2010 at 01:38 PM.
Old October 14, 2010, 01:58 PM   #5
Fiv3

I have no doubts that the Chinese could do a fine low cost, good fit, ok finish BP revolver.

I have been very pleased with their Tokarev pistols. Not the best finish, but flawless workhorses.

That said, I dunno if I would buy one from China. Not that I get bent out of shape over products from there. I just feel that the wheelgun (especially the BP military reproductions) are distinctly American in feel and idea. The love affair with our "Old West" seems to have found a kindred spirit in the Italian gun makers.

I still think that BP revolvers are some of the best bang for your buck that you can enjoy. To be able to buy a fully functioning revolver with no FFL with the level of fit and finish for $150-$200, I think is a good deal.

Now, if I can just keep myself from buying a Walker, I'll be all set. I have a real thing for ridiculous hand cannons