The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 14, 2013, 09:09 AM   #1
ruger357w

remington rifle dry firing

I picked up a remington varmint SF 220 swift with an adjustable trigger. will it hurt the rifle to dry fire it to test the trigger pull weight or do I need to get some snap caps?
Old March 14, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2
PVL

It never hurts to get a few snap caps.
Old March 14, 2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Liambobbi

It won't hurt but snap caps are better to train with and there cheap
Old March 14, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4
RC20

If you look at most firing pins, they have a taper to them. Each non stopped cycle drives it deeper into the taper.

Certainly a few dry fires does not hurt it, but if you do it much over time, then yes (if it has a square shoulder that is different).

So, it you want to do it fairly often then a snap cap is cheap avoidance.

note: pistols are a different story and dry firing is ok for most of them (probably some exceptions like a Lugger that has all matching numbered parts)
Old March 15, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Mezzanine

Its externally adjustable so why not wait until the range trip to adjust it when you can see the differences in groups?
Old March 15, 2013, 05:17 AM   #6
ruger357w

I live in the country so a range trip for me is stepping out side. I ended up useing a once fire case to adjust the trigger. set it to about 3.5 pounds. I like a light trigger but I going to use this rifle for coyote hunting so I didn't want to go to light.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

J-random-occasional dry-firing won't hurt anything. Guys have been unloading rifles, closing bolts and pulling triggers for year after year after year with nothing bad happening.

It's possible, I guess, that steady dry-firing while practicing could cause some problem if snap caps aren't used. I've never heard of a problem which resulted from dry-firing, but I'd have to ask a gunsmith to say anything definitive.

Certainly, using a once-fired case when adjusting a trigger is as good as anything.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
jmr40

Virtually all modern centerfire rifles are not hurt anymore by dryfiring than live firing. I've done it hundreds of thousands of times over the years with numerous centerfire rifles with zero problems. Including a Remington 700 made in 1974. A conservative estimate is that rifle has been dry fired at least 100,000 times. I've never owned a snap cap, but if it makes someone feel better that is what they sell them for.