The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 14, 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
fve253

storm lake barrels?

I just purchased and rebuilt a rock island officer sized gun. I left the factory barrel and am unimpressed with the accuracy of the gun. the frame slide fit is tight and and everything else is good. It isnt near as accurate as my buddys colt defender or any of my other 1911s. so I am looking into changeing barrels. I kinda wanted the barrel fitting experience anyway. It is a bushingless 3 1/2 in 45ACP NON-RAMPED, the only barrels I have been able to find for it have been the STORM LAKE "drop in". Has any one else tried these? are they worth a hoot? If anybody knows of any other sources for a barrel that'd fit it that would be great.

I'm not looking for competition accuracy, I just want to hit a 8" by 8" target at 35yrds like I can with all my other 1911s and my buddys defender.

any help would be gratefully accepted!
Old May 14, 2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Clemson

I have used Storm Lake barrels in two full-sized 1911's. They are a very accurate barrel. They may be close to drop-in, but not quite 100%. Fitting required was minimal, however. I'd buy SL again......

Clemson
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old May 14, 2008, 09:58 PM   #3
drail

Have installed many Storm Lake barrels and every customer was very pleased. I have them in two of my personal guns. I believe they are one of the best values out there for a barrel upgrade. Internal finish is very nice.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:34 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

First measure (carefully) the hole in the slide.
Compare to the barrel OD.

Results?

Then ask what the Storm Lake OD might be.....

(I prefer BarSto and Kart and Nowlin and factory....but MY MIND remains utterly open; I know of numerous satisfactory Storm Lake 'experiments').