The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 22, 2024, 01:08 PM   #1
gearchecker

1927-A1 Tommy Gun-- extractor questions/advice

I have a 1927 A-1 Tommy gun that had some major repairs to it around 3 years ago. This is a first run model from AO Thompson built in 1968 in West Hurley, NY. It has a 4 digit serial number too. So, it's pretty old and parts are getting brittle..

I need to get a new extractor put back in the bolt and I want to be sure it's located properly for proper extraction and casing hold.
Since I've never messed with the extractor before, I'm not sure if it self locates when it's put into the bolt, or if it needs to be properly aligned to the bolt face.

Can anybody get me a good quality photo of their bolt assembly showing how far forward the extractor claw needs to be set onto the bolt face? Or possibly give me the measurements so I can be sure mine is located properly in the bolt head?

I took it out to the range with my grandsons last summer. After a while, it started jamming nearly every round. It would missfeed or stovepipe every time. We never figured out what the reason was.
Last week, I got around to my annual clean and checks of my long guns and I got around to the tommy. I tore it down and got into a deep cleaning and lubricating as usual.
When I got to the bolt and started taking it apart, I discovered that the extractor claw was missing. Apparently the claw had snapped off at some time, when we were at the range last year.
I ordered a new extractor and it came in today. Now I get to reassemble the bolt and get the Tommy running again.
http://www.corneredcat.com
Old March 22, 2024, 09:20 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

The firing pin snaps into the bolt groove and is in proper position.

The usual reasons for Thompson gun extractor breakage are damaging it during removal by lifting too hard, or shooting steel case ammo.
Steel case ammo has a reputation for breaking extractors in the Thompson and last I heard they put in the manual not to use it.

Sometimes you just get a bad extractor and it breaks. Buy a new one and move on.

To install the extractor just press it back-down until it snaps in place.
Old March 22, 2024, 10:11 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

Buy another extractor. I mean a second one, store it in the butt trap. That way you'll have one IF the replacement extractor breaks.

I had one of the Tommy guns, the semi auto, deluxe, bought used, but looked new. The gun was AO, didn't say Kahr on it anywhere, but came with a Kahr manual. I think it was one of the last AO made guns before Kahr took over and was on the shelf when they did, so it went out with a Kahr manual.

3rd stick I fired from the gun, the extractor broke. I doubt steel cased ammo had anything to do with it, in those days about no one was shooting steel cased .45acp, and if the previous owner had, it couldn't have been much.

I ordered 2 extractors, one snapped into the bolt effortlessly and ther spare went into the butt. Had the gun for another 20 years or so, it ran flawlessly on everything I fed it. Never shot steel through it, but 230ball, lead 230 rn, lead 200gr swc, and 180-200gr JHP all fed flawlessly from the stick mags and the gun was accurate. Never quite got the drum to run right though.

The manual says only use 230gr FMJ. My gun ate everything I fed it with a smile. I've read reports from several people who's guns wouldn't do that.

Trigger pull was long, heavy and "spongy" but once you learned it, the gun would put 5 shots in one hole at 25yds and would ring the 200yd gong using the ladder sight.

I passed that gun on to my son about a decade ago, it now lives in a far distant state and while I sometimes miss it, I'm glad he has it.

There is no adjustment of the extractor that I know of, it snaps into place and works or it doesn't. I'd bet yours will work just fine. But get a spare anyway. They aren't very expensive and they are still available. In the future, that might (and probably will) not be the case.