The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 21, 2024, 08:19 PM   #26
rickyrick

Yes, when I hit the bolt release from the bolt held open position, it partially inserts the cartridge into the chamber, it can be jacked the rest of the way in with the forward assist. It doesn’t always do that.

When I fully retract the charging handle and release, the cartridge is fully inserted and bolt is seated. No problem while firing.

I am looking at possible magazine issue, the couple of hiccups I had after I got the rifle to feed on its own, the cartridge was tipped up in the action (I’m not sure of the term for that type of failure) It has since seemed to stop doing that. I currently have one magazine made by Bushmaster.

It has one big feed ramp instead of the usual two. I may give it a polish.

One disclosure, I don’t currently have a 45cal brush, so I haven’t given the chamber a good scrub as usual with a new gun. I’m sure if I dig around the barn I might have one tucked away, something that I overlooked until I went to clean it.

I did anticipate some of this when I researched the caliber ahead of time.
So far it ran well this afternoon.
If for some reason it becomes too unreliable, I might just convert it to a side charger, block the gas port and have a straight-pull bolt action lol. It’s not really a caliber you wanna do mag dumps with