The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 5, 2010, 12:12 PM   #1
Locnar

and this is my BOOMSTICK!.....

Excuse the B movie quote above. Can anyone give me any history behind my ye ole timey shotgun? The receiver is marked "PIONEER ARMS CO." with a SN of 48XXX. The barrels and forearm have matching SN of 52XXX. The barrel also has "GENUINE ARMORY STEEL CHOME BORED". No really, it does say "CHOME". I assumed it meant to say "CHROME". I know its either a true vintage double barrel shotgun or a newer reproduction. The "PIONEER ARMS CO." and "CHOME BORE" makes me think its a reproduction but i still think its cool.
Old December 5, 2010, 12:17 PM   #2
Hog Buster

http://www.pioneer-pac.com/
Old December 5, 2010, 12:21 PM   #3
goodspeed(TPF)

I think Ash brought that one back through the portal with him. Sorry, couldn't help myself. Check my SIG.

P.S. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

http://www.thepiratefleet.com/index.shtml
Old December 5, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4
bigghoss

b-movie? try CLASSIC!
Old December 5, 2010, 01:17 PM   #5
zippy13

Holiday greetings, Locnar and welcome aboard

Open it up and get a good pic of the table marks and stampings? Maybe a little rubbed-in chalk will help.

Back in the day, there were quite a few shotguns made with a multitude of labels for the hardware store trade. Where was it made? The Chome spelling makes me wonder if it's imported.
Old December 5, 2010, 02:19 PM   #6
Locnar

Table marks? Stampings? Sorry but I'm not too knowledgeable in these areas. The only markings that I can find are the ones I listed. I already tried searching and found the Pioneer Arms web site but all of those shotguns have exposed hammers. Here is a closeup of my hammerless double barrel.
Old December 5, 2010, 02:43 PM   #7
zippy13

If you break-down the gun*, the table is the flat area of the receiver below the barrels. This is where the manufacturer usually places general and specific markings. It may also include the country of origin, assembly/serial number, and proof-house markings. The part of the barrels revealed when the gun is broken-down may also have information like length, weight and choke identification.

*From the pics, your gun probably breaks-down in the typical manner: Put a finger, or two, in the cutback (that's why it's there) at the tip of the wood fore-end. Exert some hand pressure and the fore-end will most likely un-snap downward. With the fore-end removed, when you open the breech, the barrel assembly should lift-off from the cross pin after being pivoted open. Clean and lubricate the pivot points before re-assembly.
Old December 5, 2010, 04:36 PM   #8
Locnar

I've disassembled it before so that was the easy part. I still see no other markings anywhere. The barrels are 18 1/4" and the "CHOME BORE" actually says "CHOKE BORE". Opps I remember years ago finding a web link that suggested that it was made sometime in the early 1900's and sold from a hardware store in Cincinnati, OH but I cant for the life of me find it again or even how I managed to come to such a conclusion given the lack of identifying markings. Vintage or not I still like my Boomstick. Thanks for the help.
Old December 5, 2010, 05:46 PM   #9
oneounceload

Are there any markings on the underside of the barrels where it would mate with the receiver? Typically that is where you will find any proof marks, choke designations, etc.
Old December 5, 2010, 06:08 PM   #10
Locnar

Nope. Still no joy. Just SN on one side of the part that mates to the cross pin and on the very bottom a lone number "4"
Old December 5, 2010, 06:37 PM   #11
seansean1444

very very cool gun
Old December 5, 2010, 10:49 PM   #12
Series70

One in every crowd....

Your title reminds me a Gary Larson cartoon featuring two bears looking down at a dead hunter with his rifle lying beside him - and one bear pontificating:

"Boomstick? Boomstick?

That, my friend, is a Winchester .300 Magnum."
Old December 5, 2010, 11:13 PM   #13
youngunz4life

army of darkness. good classic b movie

ps- the pioneer looks like it an still get the job done
Old December 6, 2010, 04:36 PM   #14
Series70

A slight edit...

Memory fails once again - here's the original:

http://www.funpic.hu/en.picview.php?...&c=10&s=dd&p=8