The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 27, 2009, 04:29 PM   #1
mxitman

Help Change WA State Silencer Laws

WA does not ban silencer ownership, but silencer use is a gross misdemeanor.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/bil...Bills/1604.pdf

Please write to your Reps and urge them to support this bill.

I just sent this letter to my 1st District Representative Mark Ericks, If anyone wants to use part of it, please go ahead just omit what doesn't apply to you!

Go here to find you legislator; http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

Lets get it done!

Quote:
Dear Mr.Ericks,

Hello my name is Rick ******* and I'm a member of Local 32 Plumbers and Pipefitters Union. We recently met this last fall when you came down to the local 32 political fair we had at our union hall. I was writing to you in support of House Bill 1604. (Changing restrictions on firearm noise suppressors.)

I like many other Washington residents who enjoy Hunting and Shooting Sports feel we have always been archaic in our state laws regarding the use of firearm suppressors. We are allowed to own them but not use them.

Even exposure to 85dBA of noise causes hearing loss over time. Though target shooters seldom are without earplugs, hunters often do not wear ear protection because they need to hear the sounds of the environment around them. Safety is always the utmost concern when handling and shooting a firearm, it’s very hard to communicate with other shooters and children when wearing traditional hearing protection. Allowing legal use of suppressors would be a net health benefit to shooters, hunters and the public.

Shooting ranges, even those situated out in the country, often are a source of noise pollution. Instead, we should stand behind our environmental principles and make it easier for target sports enthusiasts to be good community members by reducing noise pollution.

I'm also concerned that Law Enforcement Officers could be at risk if this doesn't pass. The "exemptions" for Law Enforcement Officers applies only to section 9.41.250(1)(a) regarding knives. The "exemption" does NOT apply to silencers addressed in 9.41.250(1)(c).

So as I understand it, if a Law Enforcement Officers is training with suppressors it would appear that they are in violation of 9.41.250(1)(c) and are "guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW."

I hope you can help me in supporting this bill and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Rick *********