The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 1999, 04:47 AM   #1
Jon Carter

Greetings. Let me first thank everyone here of all of the great information that you guys post! It is extremely beneficial to a newbie such as me.

Since I am unable to find a rifle that fits my original druthers (20-22 inch 6-6.1/2 pound 30.06 with *good fixed sights* for $4-500) I am considering the Savage Scout 10-110. (10FM) My caliber choice in that configuration is either 7mm-08 or 308 Win.
I am in GA. I will be hunting White-tail,boar
but would like to have enough stop to be able to use the gun for some larger game when the opportunity presents itself. I am pretty new
to hunting but am not too concerned with recoil.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Jon Carter
Old December 26, 1999, 08:37 AM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Jon,

The ballistic differences between the two rounds are pretty academic. The 7mm is .28 caliber and the .308 is, duh, .30. So, IMHO, .02 is pretty much unmeasurable.

Practically, the .308 gives you a couple of advantages. One, I see it in every Wal-Mart. Not sure you can say the same for 7mm-08. Two, you can find surplus ammo for a very reasonable price. I found some of the British stuff for $160 per thousand and it shoots very well. Practice, they say, leads to perfection.

The Scout concept is great and I own one. If I was looking for a pure hunting rifle I would think about a Savage 110 simply for the scope mounting ability. A good Leupold 3 x 9 will give you better light gathering. My primary deer rifle has the Ching sling ala a Scout, but a full size scope sits on top. For stalking or GP the scout gets the nod, but for sitting in a stand the '-06 with a 3 x 9 is it.

You may have the flexibility to mount different scopes on the Savage, I did not notice when I looked at one.

HTH,

Giz

------------------
"I don't make enough money to buy cheap stuff" - Mark Manning

Old December 26, 1999, 02:23 PM   #3
Jon Carter

Thank You Gizmo99. That is exactly the kind of info I seek. Heck, why not find out what works from those that have "been there done that?!"
At some risk, I ask the following:^)

With what size game would you feel undergunned had you say, a 308 scout?
I am trying to figure out the limits of the various hunting calibers and ballistics by themselves
don't really tell me what I need to know.

Thanks!
Jon Carter

[This message has been edited by Jon Carter (edited December 26, 1999).]
Old December 26, 1999, 04:11 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The 7mm-08 would give better trajectories with ligher bullets than the .308--but not a lot. The .308 would allow a bit better use of heavier bullets--but not a lot.

Off-hand, I'd say the .308 is a better all-around cartridge. Just not a lot.

I'd venture that the short barrel of a Scout-type rifle would limit one's safe-kill range on larger game like elk. But I don't want to get into that particular argument; some folks never seem to see one inside of 400 yards, and others keep stumbling over them.

I guess the summary is that with 150-grain and 180-grain bullets, the .308 will handle almost any "normal" hunting you're likely to do...

Good shot placement solves a lot of ballistic problems.

FWIW, Art
Old December 26, 1999, 05:28 PM   #5
Jon Carter

Thanks, Art.
I realize that my question borders on some age old arguments about caliber vs game size vs shot placement etc.. but I am just trying to get some general information such as you gave me.

Happy Holidays
Jon Carter