The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 20, 2013, 10:58 AM   #1
JimDandy

MO bill with Takings Clause issues?

http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking...ro/HB0545I.htm

90 days to break it, move it, or turn it in. I imagine its going nowhere, but it's another place to point, besides Cuomo and Feinstein quotes when people say noone wants to take your guns away.

Edit: I'm not even sure you can legally sell it out of state. "Remove..." it "...from the state of Missouri" is a little ambiguous, but if it's illegal to sell after it's enacted, I would think it would have to specifically mention an exemption to sell out of state in the 90 day waiver...
Old February 20, 2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Technosavant

It's definitely going nowhere.

The chairman of that committee is round filing it. None of the other Representatives have anything but disdain for it. One of the co-sponsers is disavowing it (my father emailed a few of them, one basically said she has nothing to do with it). My own rep, from the same side of the aisle as the sponsors of the bill, says that it's dead but if by some freak chance it gets any life, he'll oppose it. He thinks the bill is nuts.

A bill laying claim to Mars on behalf of the great state of Missouri would have more chance than HB 545.
Old February 20, 2013, 12:34 PM   #3
MLeake

My state rep (Delus Johnson) told me it was dead on the floor, and going nowhere.
Old February 20, 2013, 04:52 PM   #4
WW2

This reads like California's AWB

... with the corrections for oversights like the "Bullet Button" and other hated features.

My hope is that if any of these pass that they get challenged in court and found unconstitutional. Then the California AWB would have to fall by the wayside.

I should have bought my AR15 in 1982 when it was legal in California!

Luke 22:36
Quote:
Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:15 PM   #5
maestro pistolero

The silver lining here is that claims of paranoia now ring more hollow than ever. In their anticipation of a gun-ban-fest, the giddy hysteria of the anti-gun extremists has driven them to show their collective behinds in the full light of day. Never again can the claim of paranoia about confiscation have the slightest credibility.
Old February 20, 2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Baba Louie

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...neat17xml.html

Looks like WA State has a similar issue (allow Sheriff to enter house for inspection) only it went a little farther than anticipated... perhaps.

We Know. They Know. It's on the table. Or soon to be.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old February 20, 2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Technosavant

Quote:
The silver lining here is that claims of paranoia now ring more hollow than ever. In their anticipation of a gun-ban-fest, the giddy hysteria of the anti-gun extremists has driven them to show their collective behinds in the full light of day. Never again can the claim of paranoia about confiscation have the slightest credibility.
I fully and completely agree. Those asking why we won't compromise now have entire internets full of evidence as to their true intentions. They won't be happy with a ten round limit. They'll push for less and less. They won't be happy with THOSE guns, they'll come for THESE guns too. They won't be happy with just prohibiting new purchases, they want outright confiscation. They won't even be happy with that, they want to then search our homes to be sure they didn't miss anything.

These folks managed to take new gun owners and turn them into "radicalized" RKBA proponents just by pulling off the veil.