The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 11, 2010, 12:21 PM   #1
vel525

Orange Stock

So I'm looking to swap my stock on my 870 for a shorter one and saw Hogue's Less Lethal stock (orange color). I know this is usually to help police identify less lethal guns from their regular SG, but I thought it would be a good way to make my gun easier to identify and I kind like how it looks .

I'm low speed and high drag and the purpose of the SG is to shoot the occasional trap, maybe get into 3 gunning eventually, and take some shotgun instruction. My primary HD weapon is my pistol so will not be using it in that manner. Normally I don't care about what other people think, but just want to make sure i'm not doing anything faux pas. And "Less Lethal" is probably appropriate for me anyway
Old February 11, 2010, 01:58 PM   #2
Lee Lapin

If it's marked "Less Lethal," I'd think twice about putting it on a regular shotgun. CDNN has several different colors of Remington synthetic furniture from time to time- see http://www.cdnninvestments.com/remington2.html .

And the Remington Country Store ( http://www.remingtoncountrystore.com/ ) has a batch of different furniture sets on closeout too- various camo patterns, laminates in different colors, all sorts of things. Pretty good prices too.

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:38 PM   #3
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Lapin
If it's marked "Less Lethal," I'd think twice about putting it on a regular shotgun.
+1
It might be right up there with replacing your amber turn flashers with blue ones.
Old February 11, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4
oneounceload

I doubt there too much to stop you from cutting your stock down and painting it whatever color(s) you want. At my last sporting outing, I saw several semis with custom stocks - a Confederate Battle Flag as if it was flying, an American flag the same basic way, and a lady shooter had hers in bright neon pink. Unless you paint yours to deliberately try to mask its intentions, you should be good to go
Old February 11, 2010, 02:54 PM   #5
vel525

thanks for the quick responses. ya, i guess having less lethal written on the stock is not a good idea.
Old February 11, 2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Dfariswheel

Speedfeed offers orange stock sets with or without the "Less lethal" markings.

http://www.speedfeedinc.com/?location=products

So does Brownell's:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...L_ORANGE_STOCK
Old February 12, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7
vel525

Thanks!
Old February 12, 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
Rembrandt

Brownells offers orange shotgun stocks, think they call them safety stocks for training purposes.....not sure why Houge uses "less lethal" designation.