The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 6, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1
wilson133

Return to the Lee Pro 1000

A little while ago I posted here asking about a Lee Pro 1000 that I'd had for a while, but never used. I now have loaded about 1500 rounds of 9mm and thought I'd post my impressions.
It's a heck of a lot faster that single stage reloading, though the average speed is lower than it could be because of the number of times that I have had to stop and tinker with it. I am running somewhere between 125 to 200 rounds per hour.
The primer system is truly a PITA. You really have to feel those primers go in because if you don't seat the primer the spilled powder will stop up the machine and you have to clean it out again. If you get a primer jam, just clearing the stuck, crushed, tilted primer may not be enough, you must stop and examine it carefully or your problems may increase. Getting the primer tray properly inserted into the machine is part of the learning curve. Crushing a primer and having the pieces get into the mechanism is even more fun. Suggestion, if the primer doesn't feel like it's going in right, stop, don't force it.
Being a tinkerer and taking time to understand how the machine works is essential. Lots of little things need to be fiddled with and that skill will be needed, not that there is anything hard about it, but it is more complex than changing a light bulb.
The indexing works well and the indexing adjustment works well. It is very difficult to double charge a case, but you should check anyway. It is possible to double charge a case it you get to tinkering while running cases through the machine. I suggest taking the cases out of the machine before tinkering. when removing cases, I have found that it is best to raise the ram about 1/2 way and rotate the shell plate around to remove cases. If you just pull them out of the station, you can bend the little arm that holds the case and the the primer won't line up and you will have big problems, don't ask me how I know this.
Overall. I am pretty well pleased with the thing. Now that I have some idea of what I am doing, I am getting faster and the stoppages are less frequent and are.being cleared faster.
I liked it enough to buy a second one from Lee's surplus list for $82 and some caliber change parts from Midway. Now that I''m temporarily out of 9mm bullets, I'll have to start with another caliber.
Thanks again to all those who responded to my earlier post with helpful suggestions.
Old January 6, 2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Scorch

I like my Pro1000 too. Yes, it has limitations, but it's pretty good. For the primer feed, I always keep some Q-tips around to clean it out, and you do have to remember to lift the ram and rotate the die plate to remove jammed rounds. But they are faster than a single-stage press!

I have die plates for 5 calibers, and a changeover and setup for a new caliber takes about 20 minutes, versus about an hour for my friend's Dillon. In the other 40 minutes, I can crank out about 200 rounds.
Old January 6, 2007, 09:15 PM   #3
pumpkinheaver

Keep the primer tray full and you'll have fewer problems. When I let mine get low seems like the thing jams up more.