The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: What would you pick?
Beretta 92FS 40 54.05%
FNX-45 Tactical 10 13.51%
Mossberg 590A1 24 32.43%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old February 12, 2015, 10:25 AM   #26
BigMikey76

I went with the shotgun. It may not be as much fun at the range, but for home defense, which I feel is more important, a shotgun out shines any handgun on the market.
As far as shooting it at the range, ask the range folks what their rules are. My local ranges allow shotguns, but only with slugs. Other ranges may have different rules.
If you have the ability to set up a shooting area on your own property, that is the best option. The money you save in range fees can go to putting more rounds down range, or you could put the "range fee" money into a jar every time you shoot on your home range. You will be surprised at how quickly you can afford to pick up the next gun on your wish list.
Old February 13, 2015, 10:40 PM   #27
Sequins

IMO you shpuld D/Q the FNX45. The FNX series was slightly suboptimal with occasional loose backstraps and magazine wobble, and at that price for a polymer why risk it? Also FNH is going to launch a new pistol relatively soon, so you might really rue the purchase a year or two from now when a "same but better" FNH model comes out.

Also, why go tactical unless you have a suppressor? Huge expense and unless you have a can to throw on why bother?

I voted 92FS because it'll do what you want, MIGHT be able to conceal on your frame, and is just a great gun. I've got one and its my favourite range shooter.
Old February 14, 2015, 01:04 PM   #28
Blue Duck

My vote is for the 92FS, because it will be more fun on the range, fairly accurate, magazines and ammo are pretty easy to come by. Can be more accessible at night and faster to deploy without having to get up to get a shotgun.

It can be carried concealed although it is a bit thick, compared to other options. The 92 is a pretty proven design. If you did get the shotgun, I wouldn't get a Mossberg, anyway. And for a first gun, the 45 cal is more expensive to shoot, probably and the 92 is just a good choice over the other two.

Get the 92 if you want, then save up and add other guns later, like a good .22 cal pistol, so you can shoot a lot, then a shotgun, or smaller CCW Pistol or small revolver, because the 92 really is a little on the big side for an all around CCW gun.
Old February 16, 2015, 02:33 AM   #29
Tucker 1371

I've had my eye on the FNX-45 for quite a while. Since you plan on concealed carrying the shotgun is obviously out, for now anyway. I owned a 590A1 and it was a fine shotgun but if you're entertaining the idea of getting your carry permit then you need something that will fill both roles.

I carry a full size 1911 and it doesn't bother me a bit. I'm not a big guy either 5'7" 160 lbs. However, a 1911 is considerably slimmer than either the 92A1 or the FNX. You are also not me. You may buy the FNX or Beretta and get so annoyed with carrying them that you decide to leave it home more often than not. We don't get to choose when or if something or someone bad happens to us, a gun at home or left in the glovebox does you no good.

With all that said and given the options you specified, I say go with the FNX. I personally find the ergonomics to be much better than the 92A1, I think the manual safety is far more intuitive, and it's polymer framed so it will be a little lighter and more comfortable to carry than the Beretta.

But I strongly urge you to take a long hard look at what you're going to be comfortable carrying day in and day out. Maybe look at something that is a little bit closer to a Glock 19/CZ P-07 size wise.

I suggest that if/when you decide to start carrying, no matter the gun you choose, that you invest and a very good holster and belt combo, I am very pleased with the belt I got from Crossbreed Holsters. Good Luck in your decision!
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; February 16, 2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old February 16, 2015, 07:44 AM   #30
testuser79

Shotgun, no question. It's probably less fun to shoot, but it's essential in the sticks. I look at mine as an invaluable tool.

I've lived in the country my entire life and I've had to use a 12 gauge or rifle on several occasions. In my case it's always been to dispatch a rabid or otherwise aggressive problem animal, generally, it's been in the middle of the night, too. Ranges vary between 10 to 35 yards. Over the years, I can't think of a single incident in which I would have preferred to have a handgun instead of a 12 gauge shotgun or rifle. Never.

I have a handgun for the house. I'm unlikely to ever need it. I keep long guns to police my property and will definitely have to use one again, almost certainly it will involve some sort of irate varmit. We've the event we've needed to kill a snake, and that's very rare, a hoe works pretty well, but if I'm not around, I doubt my wife will get close enough to a copperhead to use a garden tool. She'll likely just pick up the shotgun.

There's definitely a difference between the kinds of guns someone in a suburban or urban might need vs. a rural setting. With no animal control to speak of and sparse police presence, I can't think of anyone without a 12 gauge, even people that don't hunt or shoot regularly will have an 870 just in case.

Last edited by testuser79; February 16, 2015 at 08:22 AM.
Closed Thread