The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 29, 2012, 10:01 PM   #26
tobnpr

Man, that sucks. Sort of confirms what I posted above, the best of the Vz's are long gone...

I guess we can't expect them to remove the actions from every Mauser they sell to inspect and take pictures, but one can't help but feel ripped off I guess, wondering if they did know about the pitting below the stock line and just didn't disclose it.

After reviewing their description of the rifle (the info on the one you bought is still online) it appears they did a fairly thorough inspection of the rifle. It's not like they posted a "generic" picture and told you they were gonna pick one out of a crate, and you would get, what you would get...

I would send them the pics, and ask them how they failed to notice/disclose the severe pitting at the stock line.

While the underside of the barrel would not have been visible to them, the last picture- of the severe pitting of the front of the action below the SN- is above the stock line- and was surely visible, and should have been disclosed to you, IMO.
Old March 1, 2012, 01:24 AM   #27
emcon5

It just barely pokes above the stock line there, and only on the right side., I think I see it because I know it is there.

I doubt they took it out of the stock, with the funky screw in the barrel band it is kind of a pain. Honestly, had I been there to look at it in person, I probably still would have bought it.

I am leaning toward shooting it. The worst pit is the second photo above, and while it is not easy to measure, at its deepest point it seems to be about .75mm, maybe a little less.

At that point the barrel diameter is 16.5mm, so the barrel wall is about 4.75mm thick there.

It is before the barrel step, where the diameter drops to ~15.5, with 4.25mm walls.

If you consider the 8X57 versions, the barrel has the same profile, so the barrel walls would be 4.25mm and 3.75mm before and after the barrel step.

If you look at it that way, I still have more metal at that pit than parts of an 8mm barrel.

I may also try and find a replacement barrel for it. Haven't decided yet.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:08 PM   #28
TX Hunter

Emcon 5

Im sorry to hear of the severe pitting you may be able to repair it though.
If its still thick eneough to be safe.