The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 6, 2009, 11:32 PM   #1
mssurrey

MP5 on full auto ....wow what a blast

A friend of mine has a special permit (one of only a few hundred in the US) for a machine gun.

We went to the range today with his 9mm HK MP5 with a front pistol grip and a rear stock. and had a blast on full auto. It goes through 30 rounds in like 3 seconds or so.

It was my first time ever with a MG and I was pleasantly shocked by the lack of recoil. In fact all of my handguns (other than my .22lr) recoil more than the MP5. Also, it wasn't loud at all - another shock. No wonder it's the cohice for many tactical teams abroad.
Old February 6, 2009, 11:54 PM   #2
ChewToy

Really, didn't know the MP5 was a handgun, Lol. Sounds like fun though!
Old February 7, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
mssurrey

Duh..wrong forum...my bad!
Old February 7, 2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Silvanus

I've only shot a semi-auto MP5 so far (I'm in police school, right now). The lack of recoil and the accuracy are amazing. I can imagine it's quite controllable in full auto mode, too.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:16 AM   #5
pwelsh4hd

Quote:
A friend of mine has a special permit (one of only a few hundred in the US) for a machine gun.
????? "special permit"....that's nonsense, there is no such thing. We have probably a few hundred people in just this general area of Idaho alone, that own full-auto machine guns legally. They even have a "club" that meets regularly for full-auto shooting fun. There are literally thousands of people in the US that own pre-ban full-auto machine-gun gear. The local range has full-autos you can rent by the hour, including MP5's (but folks usually run out of ammo within the first 5-10 minutes ) Heck, my local Class III dealer tries his best to sell me one each time I see him (I just don't have the cash for it). All you really have to have to own a pre-86 full-auto is a lot of green to buy the weapon, $200 for the tax stamp, a clean background to pass the paperwork, and you're basically set....no such "permit" required. For a post-86 full-auto, you would have to be a Class III dealer with a demo letter.

Last edited by pwelsh4hd; February 8, 2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:12 AM   #6
David Hineline

Glad you had a fun time, but your friend is not that special. All it takes is not being a criminal, and a healthy wallet. Goto youtube.com and type in machinegun shoot and you will find more special friends.

You can get a MP5 for yourself for around $17,000
Old February 11, 2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Chipperman

Quote:
All it takes is not being a criminal, and a healthy wallet.
That is pretty special nowadays.

I paid a lot for my MP5, but they're even more now. I just wish I'd gotten mine a few years before I did. I could have bought a lot more with the same aount of money
Old February 11, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Juna

Quote:
Goto youtube.com and type in machinegun shoot and you will find more special friends.
ROFLMAO!
Old February 11, 2009, 09:25 PM   #9
cookhj

i have an MP5 that i use for ERT stuff and it's great to shoot. unfortunately ours are 3rd burst.

it's an accurate SMG; i've hit the metal lollypop targets (i think they're 6" or 8" diameter steel plates) at 100yds consistantly.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:56 AM   #10
mssurrey

That's what he told me - perhaps I'll ask him if there's something 'special' about his permit!

In any case, it's great fun - now I know why people want(ed) one
Old February 12, 2009, 10:08 AM   #11
Wiskey_33

I've shot a full auto MP5, and they're amazing firearms. Too rich for my blood though $$$$$$$$$$$.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:28 AM   #12
Dustin0

Look at knob Creek KY

no "special permit" needed Just 250 to the ATF and lots of cash for the gun.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Wiskey_33

Quote:
When did the tax stamp change from $200 to $250?
Old February 12, 2009, 05:33 PM   #14
MrClean

Apparently after about 10AM this morning. I just got off the phone with my Class III dealer talking to him about an SBR. lol

Lifetime NRA, USPSA, HCSO, CRS Club
Old February 13, 2009, 07:30 AM   #15
Wiskey_33

Quote:
Apparently after about 10AM this morning. I just got off the phone with my Class III dealer talking to him about an SBR. lol
And what did he say?
Old February 13, 2009, 08:37 AM   #16
RF11

Quote:
pwelsh4hd
Quote:
????? "special permit"....that's nonsense, there is no such thing. We have probably a few hundred people in just this general area of Idaho alone, that own full-auto machine guns legally. They even have a "club" that meets regularly for full-auto shooting fun. There are literally thousands of people in the US that own pre-ban full-auto machine-gun gear. The local range has full-autos you can rent by the hour, including MP5's (but folks usually run out of ammo within the first 5-10 minutes ) Heck, my local Class III dealer tries his best to sell me one each time I see him (I just don't have the cash for it). All you really have to have to own a pre-86 full-auto is a lot of green to buy the weapon, $200 for the tax stamp, a clean background to pass the paperwork, and you're basically set....no such "permit" required. For a post-86 full-auto, you would have to be a Class III dealer with a demo letter.
Note to self: Move to Idaho when opportunity presents itself