The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 1, 2000, 07:48 PM   #1
Strabs

I know this should probably go in 'tactics', but since a recent post is related I'll keep it here.

Some of you keep your Remy 870s ready with the the slide locked and the safety either ON or OFF. (this question will only work with an empty chamber and rounds ready in the mag)
...do you:
A - press the slide release - rack (round now chambered) - take off safety (if on)- fire?
or B - take off the safety(if on) - drop the hammer (dry fire) - rack (round now chambered) - fire?

Also, does anyone have any feeling about keeping the hammer (spring) always cocked? (i.e. spring health)
Old March 1, 2000, 10:00 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

My HD 870 dates from before Pop bought it around 1956. It's been stored cocked most of the time since. Spring fatigue doesn't seem to be a problem.

Slide release,rack, safety off, fire.
I'd never advocate pulling the trigger just to unlock the action.
Old March 1, 2000, 11:20 PM   #3
jthuang

I don't have a Remington 870, but I thought I'd throw some in some information. The sign of a true busybody.

John Farnam defines "cruiser safe" (same as "loader's safe") as full magazine, empty chamber, hammer down and safety off. See John S. Farnam, "The Farnam Method of Defensive Shotgun and Rifle Shooting", 49 (1997).

Gabriel Suarez takes the same view, except that he leaves the choice of engaging the manual safety up to the user. See Gabriel Suarez, "The Tactical Shotgun", 88 (1996). I think he prefers to keep the safety on, since his discussion of carry positions (low ready, high ready, etc.) all include references to having one's trigger finger poised to release the safety prior to firing. See, e.g., id at 72.

Both Farnam and Suarez do not recommend arming the shotgun (i.e., putting a round into the chamber) until the shooter mounts the shotgun into a fire position except in limited circumstances. Farnam, supra at 50-51; Suarez, supra at 88.

So their method would be rack (no slide release necessary since hammer is already down), release safety (Suarez only, if engaged) and fire.

HTH!

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

[This message has been edited by jthuang (edited March 02, 2000).]
Old March 2, 2000, 06:28 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thank you,Erick, "Great minds move in parallel paths"-Wilde...

I started keeping the 870 in that condition because it was how the agency weapons were kept. For the same reason, I used K frames for carry guns for 20 years.

Also, when I had small kids in the house, even though I thought where and how I stored the HD 870 was inpenetrable by those kids, I'd hate to be wrong.So, while I had no problem racking and manipulating quickly, anyone who knew little about shotguns would have a tougher time creating a dangerous situation.

And of course the finger stays out of the trigger guard until crunch time.It's a given, and I'm old and forget things(G)...
Old March 2, 2000, 06:28 PM   #5
Strabs

I see that a couple of you opt for slide release, rack, safety, fire. This is also what I choose to do(whether or not using the safety). I was just wondering if there was anyone whodoes choose to dry fire then run the gun.(wasn't sure if there were any speed/tactical advantages to doing this)
Personally I wouldfeel too uncomfortable doing this myself, even if you ABSOLUTELY know how the gun is loaded!
Old March 2, 2000, 08:49 PM   #6
Big Bunny

Most informative and interesting even though most pump shotguns(and autos) are now banned in OZ after a certain asmanian Massacre a few years ago, though one was not used!

Generally, as regards springs under tension, I remember well a WW2 German Heinkel plane wreck being dug up from a meadow near us when I lived in UK. A P38 pistol was found in the muddy wreckage and to the policeman's surprise (who made it safe and made sure it didn't get into the blackmarket -as pistol are a no-no in England), the 9mm ammo in the magazine was still all there, and still under perfect spring tension 33 years later !

So as regards springs in magazines under tension remaining loaded -I have not worried since!

But I do ease firing-pin springs though for storage, a case of safety I suppose?

------------------
***Big Bunny***
Old March 3, 2000, 07:01 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Strabs, Murphy's Law is a good reason for not pulling the trigger to unlock the action.
One of the instructors I had long ago was an FBI agent who shared a war story with us about an AD he had going into a house with some bank robbers asleep in it. Not a good idea....