The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 28, 2010, 11:05 PM   #1
BDX

Sloppy RCBS Bench Mounted Primer Tool? Here's a Tip

These units are solid and simple. I like em, but they come with pretty sloppy tolerances in the two main pivot points, the handle pin bolt and the primer dispenser arm pin bolt. Because of the loose fit the whole thing kind of clatters about during operation. I got cranky with it last night and decided to tinker with it.

Because the milling is so loose you can actually put a a good wrap and a half or two of plumbers teflon tape around the bushing portion of these pin bolts. Then put a small amount of heavy silicone grease, or my favorite, Penn Muscle Grease, on the teflon tape (and the threads of the bolt).

I also smoothed out the handle contact area on the primer dispenser arm to better lay on the steel of the handle. Dont go crazy with this grinding or you'll find yourself with a vertical alignment between these two pieces and a machine that wont actuate. You barely want to "round out" or lap the edge. Dont forget to dab a small amount of grease on the interface between the handle and dispenser arm. Aluminum on carbon steel needs a bit of love.

When you're winding the teflon tape be sure to wrap it counterclockwise on the pin (with threads pointed away from you). This that will allow the loose end of the tape lay flat during the threading so it doesnt unravel. It may take a time or two to get it right ( number of wraps) but when you do the dispenser arm will sliiiiide back into position like it was on hydraulics and the handle action wont feel so cheap.

This is in no way a permanent fix (like reaming the bastard out and putting a brass bushing in there) and at some point you will proabably want/need to do it again. I cranked a 100 through it afterwards and grinned the entire time.

Last edited by BDX; January 29, 2010 at 12:19 AM.