The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 9, 2015, 12:20 AM   #1
posguncollector

what scope mount is this? carcano 7.35

hello i have a carcano 7.35 that i had to cut a couple inches due to a ring at the end of the muzzle and the front sight got cut off and i would like to scope it for deer hunting. i found these pics of a carcano and was wonder the make and model of the scope mount?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg carcano scope mount.jpg (44.5 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg carcanoaction.jpg (36.7 KB, 171 views)
Old November 9, 2015, 02:08 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

There are several brands. Just a side mount base. Rifle specific things. Find the ammo before you spend any more money.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574...e-base-1-gloss
Old November 9, 2015, 02:20 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yep, 7.35 Carcano is hard to find; I am not aware that it was made commercially, though Norma made the 6.5. Even bullets for reloading are an odd size, .29 caliber.

The scope mount is a standard side mount; it is the base that is specific to the rifle. A side mount or swing-away mount has to be used in order to load the rifle with a clip.

It might be easier, and certainly less expensive, to have the front sight replaced, something any gunsmith should be able to do.

Jim
Old November 9, 2015, 06:28 PM   #4
posguncollector

thanks guys but im not to worried about ammo i got 60 rounds for it for about $0.67 a round they are Hornady 128 gr. sp in .30 cal, ppu brass. gunsmiths around here is outrageously priced a crown job is $150 i wouldn't even want to know the price of a dovetail cut and a new sight, now for some reason drill and tap its only $10. and i also want a scope cause my eyes cant focus very well on the carcano sight. i was just trying to figure out the scope mount in the pics i posted. it does look like a weaver #1 base with detachable side-mount rings but just wanted to get another opinion just to make sure before i order.
Old November 9, 2015, 09:53 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

AFAIK, Weaver still makes a side mount for the Carcano. My older Brownells catalog shows it as stock # 955-010-001AC. I would contact them at 1-800-741-0015 or www.brownells.com.

Of course you will still have to have a gunsmith install it; putting on a side mount is not a simple job, and I suspect that drill and tap cost is per hole, even though it is still a bargain.

Jim
Old November 10, 2015, 06:36 PM   #6
posguncollector

thanks i called them and they said the weaver #1 should work, and yep thats $10 per hole.
Old November 11, 2015, 04:48 AM   #7
Gunplummer

Most people used to use a Savage 340 base. I still have a 6.5 beater I hunt with once and a while that I put one on. They are sheet metal and can be bent a little to ajust. I only had to heat the bolt and bend it down to clear. You just have to watch you have it far enough front (Try a scope to your eye before you D&T). THE GUN PARTS CORPORATION used to carry them.

Tags
7.35 , carcano , mount , scope , scope mounts