The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 7, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Buzzdoc

Scope mount for AR

I am well-versed in firearms and have fired many ARs, but I have just purchased my first AR. I have a flat-top coming in next week, and I plan to put a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 x 44. I am looking at one-piece offset mounts. Do I need a 2" or 3" offset to get the correct eye relief?

I apologize if this has been discussed before. I did a search but did not find any answers.
Old July 7, 2012, 11:24 PM   #2
BPowderkeg

you have chosen a very good rifle and a scope, here is what i attached a Night Force to my Colt flat-top:

they are a bit costly, but putting a piece of junk between your rifle and scope don't make sense.., get the best, get GG&G !!
Old July 8, 2012, 01:59 AM   #3
sholling

I use a LaRue Tactical on my 6.8SPC. LaRue and GG&G make great stuff. If money is tight a Burris P.E.P.R. mount like the one on my M&P15-22 isn't a bad choice but it's not even close to the same league as a LaRue. As far as offset just call LaRue and they'll help you pick what you need for your scope.

Last edited by sholling; July 8, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old July 8, 2012, 12:17 PM   #4
Buzzdoc

My DDM4v5 should be here tomorrow. I have my Vortex Viper PST scope on order, so I looked at the Vortex website and they had their offset mounts for 20% off, so I'm going to give them a shot. I have a few other Vortex items, and I have been very pleased with their quality thus far. Hopefully the mount will not disappoint. If they aren't up to snuff, I'll go look at GG&G, LaRue, or Nightforce.
Old July 8, 2012, 01:02 PM   #5
Beentown71

ADM and Burris are good options also.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old July 8, 2012, 03:07 PM   #6
boostedtt91

I use a Larue Tactical scope mount for my AR and the quality is next to none. You can't go wrong with anything from Larue and they stand behind everything they sell!
Old July 8, 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
Marquezj16

I have Burris and Nikon mounts. Will not break the bank. Works for what I use it for.
Old July 9, 2012, 01:45 PM   #8
loose_holster_dan

i have this on my LAR-8 standard operator.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/162...-flattop-matte

it had plenty of eye relief for me.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 9, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
jsimmons

I have Burris PEPRs on all of my ARs.

I don't understand the comment that a Burris "isn't in the same league as a LaRue". If it does what it's supposed to do, how is it "in a different league".
Old July 9, 2012, 03:36 PM   #10
Beentown71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimmons View Post
I have Burris PEPRs on all of my ARs.

I don't understand the comment that a Burris "isn't in the same league as a LaRue". If it does what it's supposed to do, how is it "in a different league".
To say you have better stuff. Swag/Gear is the gun guys designer shoes... Devil shoots Larue. Lol

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
Old July 9, 2012, 04:02 PM   #11
mooner

Good golly. Some of those are coming close to what a decent scope costs. Apparently I am not the target audience for this product.
Old July 9, 2012, 04:29 PM   #12
sholling

Quote:
I'm a cheapskate and if I can find equal for cheaper I'll go for it. The reason that I rate the LaRue higher is 1) side by side the made in USA LaRue seems stronger. 2) LaRue promises remove and replace return to zero within 1MOA as long as you put it back in the same slot. Burris makes no such claim, although the repeatability of QD version should be a big improvement over the thumbscrew version because the tension is repeatable every time. 3) Which is showing up more in combat roles? I haven't been over there so maybe you could enlighten us. I own both so I have no reason to slime the Burris - I just call it as I see it. The quick Disconnect version of the Burris is a heck of bargain at $90 and by far the better looking of the two but in my opinion the LaRue is the stronger of the two. That does not make your choice (and mine for my M&P15-22) a bad choice so relax.
Old July 9, 2012, 05:01 PM   #13
Striker1

I have a Wilson Combat on mine. Comes with thumb screws. Worked great over the last 3 years.
Old July 10, 2012, 07:05 AM   #14
loose_holster_dan

Quote:
Good golly. Some of those are coming close to what a decent scope costs. Apparently I am not the target audience for this product.
when you are spending $1600 on optics, saving money on mounting doesn't make much sense.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old July 10, 2012, 09:53 AM   #15
BPowderkeg

Quote:
when you are spending $1600 on optics, saving money on mounting doesn't make much sense.
i agree !

i learned my lesson on cheap scope mounts when i first mounted a scope on my first flat-top, it loosened and wobbled after about 30 rounds no amount of wrenching would fix it, i then saw the GG&G mounts at a gun show several years ago, i told my story to the rep, he promised the GG&G mount would never dod that and gave me a special discount if i promised to give him a report on it's durability, after swapping the scope on different flat-tops, the zeroing was minimal, i went to their shop in Tucson, told the rep what i did, he said "i told you so" i bought another mount right then, and have bought at least 5 more since then.
Old July 12, 2012, 03:10 PM   #16
tobnpr

We like the Warne RAMP mount on ours.
Scope of your choice (high magnification) up top...
Mini-red dot (Burris FFII), and/or a tac light on a 45 degree mount on one side, or both...

http://warnetactical.com/R.A.M.P.html
Old July 12, 2012, 07:19 PM   #17
Striker1

Who's "we"?
Old July 12, 2012, 07:23 PM   #18
tobnpr

My son, and I...
(??)
Old July 12, 2012, 07:24 PM   #19
Striker1

Ah gotcha. I have Warne on my hunting rifle...never a problem with them.