The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 28, 2009, 11:01 PM   #1

Barnes bullets

I'm not sure if I should post this here or in the reloading forum.

I shot a doe at 166 yards with a 280 Rem, Remington model 700 BDL with bullets I reloaded. I used a 120 gr Barnes ballistic tip boatail with Hodgdon 4831 short cut powder. I made a not so good shot. I hit it high and didn't get heart or lungs. still, the deer didn't go but 60 yards.

Gotta love those barnes bullets
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bad shot 1.jpg (148.0 KB, 84 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 29, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
hardluk1

I like a barnes x bullets but for meaner game and a shoulder shot. Looks like you all most got some backbone there. Did it blow up the tenderloans?? What kind of FPS out of that 120 grianer? Over 3200?? I stopped shooting the x on deer and only use the 140gr SST's in my 7mm mag and still 125gr BT's in the 308. Still like the X for hogs, elk and bear. Break them shoudlers and they don't go far.
Old November 29, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Looks to me like the hydro-dynamic shock took out much of the giddyup via the damage to the spine...
Brent
Old November 29, 2009, 08:48 PM   #4

Yes, I got a bit of the spine. It didn't blow up the tenderloins. Truth be told, I made the shot I took, I wanted to see what kind of results I would get. Man, the exit wound (the hole on the left) is huge.

Here is the end result of of my efforts, Maple Venison Breakfast Sausage.
I just finished making 6 lbs. and it's a great recipe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maple sausage.jpg (147.2 KB, 31 views)

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:24 AM   #5
Fat White Boy

I reload my .308 for hogs using 168gr Barnes Solid copper bullets. Great bullet...
Old December 1, 2009, 08:56 PM   #6
andrew66

Hey, just came across this. I am thinking of reloading and using these barnes bullets. that "bad shot" pic really isnt that bad. you should see the mess that 140gr nosler accubonds do. Could put my fist in the exit wounds!
Old December 7, 2009, 04:30 AM   #7
SeekHer

I have switched all my 6.5mm to 7.5mm bullets to Barnes and only Barnes but they don't make, alas, anything bigger then .308 which I hunt with more the anything else--8mm to 9.3mm.......

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old December 7, 2009, 04:36 AM   #8
andrew66

I checked the barnes website, and they list a whole bunch of sizes for the TSX bullets. Maybe the stores dont carry them.... I usually go to wholesale sports