The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 31, 2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Magazine problem

I have loading 200gr 45acp SWC's in my Colt 1911 for as long as I 've owned it. Recently I acquired some 230gr LRN's. After loading them, I noticed that when the magazine is all the way fulls it is very difficult to get the magazine to go into the magazine well and lock. The magazine snaps into the mag well fine with 1 round less than full. I never had this problem with 200gr SWC's. The rounds feed fine and shoot fine, it's just getting the magazine to go all the way into the mag well and not hang out the bottom that's the problem.

What do you think this is an indication of (too much bell).
Old May 31, 2014, 04:55 PM   #2
g.willikers

With a full mag, if you push down on the top round, is there any spring action?

With the slide removed and a fully loaded mag inserted, does the mag then lock in place ok?

If the answer to both of the above questions is yes, then what happens when the gun is back together and the mag is inserted and you give the bottom of the mag a whack with the palm of your hand to seat it?

Last edited by g.willikers; May 31, 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old May 31, 2014, 05:09 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The bell in your case should be gone, via the crimp adjustment, when you finish the load. In addition to what G. Willikers said, have you checked the overall length of the rounds? It is possible to seat some bullets so deep in .45 Auto that the bullet base gets down where the brass wall is thicker, making the loaded round too wide at that place. Measured the OD of the case where the bullet lies under it, all the way down to the bottom of the bullet, and compare it to the upper portion (the cartridge) in this drawing. The linear dimensions of the cartridge are all maximums. You can be up to six thousandths under, except as noted on the drawing, but not over.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle