The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2009, 07:57 AM   #1
bpratl

Correcting runout

Using LEE collet dies brought my runout down to .004" with an occasional .007" runout.
Being a bit anal I tried neck turning, better centering of neck dies and different seating dies. It all helped; but now I can adjust, or eliminate runout, to .0001” using this homemade correction tool by cutting in half the total runout with the adjusting knob. Next trip to the range will tell.

Bob
Old November 26, 2009, 09:45 AM   #2
F. Guffey

Constructive criticism or observation? At one time there was a tool that was similar in appearance that was used as a crimp tool, the stylist was used to put dents in the neck, the dents held the bullet in place, I can see how your tool is used to check run out but without case support I can not see how the tool is used to reduce run out, not easy but a slide type indicator could be attached to determine if moving the neck caused movement somewhere else, meaning after making an adjustment the indicator would prove the bullet was still straight with the case or if the case was shoved off center, half round blocks on both sides would help, I believe.

I have made a seating tool that offers neck support and alignment for seating, something like a throw back when bullet seating was done by hand, when something is not correct it is difficult to remove by hand, and that defeats the purpose.

F. Guffey
Old November 26, 2009, 09:47 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

I saw a commercial device that does that at Camp Perry several years ago. Different configuration, but same concept. I haven't seen them on the market since, though. NECO came up with a flat plate full of holes this year. It lets you make the bend manually, then try it in an indicator. Not nearly as precise.

Good luck with it.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle