The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
rwt101

Do you use your own reloads for self defense?

Do you use your own reloads for self defense or do you use factory rounds? Since I am new to reloading I don't have the confidence yet to use my own. Just wondering?
Bob T
Old November 21, 2008, 12:30 PM   #2
44Magnum

Yes, I load a light .44 mag for home defense.

Do not criticize me for my choice. The caliber is what I am used to and what I shoot best. I've had numerous guys over the years tell me I'm nuts. I really don't care. After the IDPA guys see the speed and accuracy with which I can unload a single action revolver, reload, and put more lead downrange, some of them change their mind. If you hone the cylinders you can literally flip the loading gate, point the gun up, and spin the cylinder to unload it. If using reloads for defense in my own home is ever a big issue, we are truly in a sad state.

Sorry for the rant, but I don't want the thread to turn into "44Magnum and the like are morons." I will never apologize for my choice.

Last edited by 44Magnum; November 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:06 PM   #3
vranasaurus

I use factory ammo for self defense. However I would have no problem using my reloads in a pinch. With factory ammo I have 20 rounds of 45 ACP and 30 rounds of 9mm in the house. If I need anything past that reloads will have to do.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:17 PM   #4
That'll Do

I use factory ammo for self-defense.

If I ran out of factor ammo in a gunfight, then my reloaded stuff would have to do. And I'm sure it would work just fine.
Old November 21, 2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Hook686

Yes I use my own reloads for self defense.

Each of my handloaded rounds is carefully loaded and observed step by step. This is not true of factory ammunition. I have gotten factory ammunition (6mm Remington) that had an incomplete case formation around the neck area.

I like .357 magnum and .44 magnum/ I prefer loading the .44 magnum to .357 magnum recoil level ... a 'short barrel' loading.

I'm happy with my personal loading and confident in my reloads.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 21, 2008, 03:07 PM   #6
Japle

There was a time when I thought I could load better SD ammo than the factories. That time has passed.

Gold Dot, Golden Saber, Federal HS, 9PBLE, whatever. Premium factory ammo is good stuff.

My handloads are for practice.
Old November 21, 2008, 03:26 PM   #7
aerod1

I use factory ammo for concealed carry. I do this to "lawyer proof" myself from anti gun lawyers and judges, in case I have to use my weapon in self defense and have to appear in court.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old November 21, 2008, 04:31 PM   #8
drail

Handloads. Don't trust anybody else's ammunition enough to bet my life on. Kinda like packing your own chute.
Old November 21, 2008, 04:37 PM   #9
Musketeer

Many here will say they use their own handloads for defense.

Pretty much all accepted professional instructors and expert witnesses for defensive shootings will advise strongly against doing so.

You decide for yourself because everything after the above to items degrades into a forum fight.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old November 21, 2008, 04:38 PM   #10
Musketeer

Edits seems to be locking up so I cannot change the "to" above to "two."

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old November 21, 2008, 04:39 PM   #11
The Lovemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerod1
I use factory ammo for concealed carry. I do this to "lawyer proof" myself from anti gun lawyers and judges, in case I have to use my weapon in self defense and have to appear in court.
Bingo. I use factory loads and keep the box with the lot number. I don't need the prosecution's lawyer portraying me as a cold blooded killer who loaded the rounds up expressly for killing.
Old November 21, 2008, 04:43 PM   #12
darkgael

my loads

I reload about thirty or so centerfire calibers but for SD I carry factory ammo. For me it is a stab at legal protection, as noted in another post, should I ever have to use the guns in anger. I believe that is the basis for many of the professional recommendations against using handloaded ammo for SD.
It has nothing to do with reliability.
Pete
Old November 21, 2008, 04:47 PM   #13
plateshooter

I use my own reloads. I know what is in them, and I don't know what is in anything else.
Old November 21, 2008, 04:56 PM   #14
mavracer

I have factory ammo for SD/HD eliminates the possibility of legal hassels.
but if I'm ever accosted while I'm practicing refer to my sig line.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old November 21, 2008, 05:16 PM   #15
rwt101

Well I never thought about the legal part. Very interesting. I will have to give it some thought. I see both sides on this one.
Bob T
Old November 21, 2008, 06:34 PM   #16
Sevens

The legal part is a big part. Heck, in my world, it's the only part. Really, truly, it absolutely is. If it wasn't for the little hedge I think/hope it provides, all I have in my house is my handloads.

Musketeer's post nailed it -- back and read it, it's short, specific and the last line is key. If you wish to discuss this further, HURRY UP! Because every single example of this topic ends up getting shut down because passionate folks will not agree and it spirals out of control every time.
Old November 21, 2008, 06:37 PM   #17
rwt101

So I guess I opened up a can of worms!!!!
Bob T
Old November 21, 2008, 06:50 PM   #18
zxcvbob

I use my handloads for home defense, because all the factory ammo I buy is .22LR, and that just doesn't seem beefy enough I use .38 Special 158 grain soft SWCHP's over 4.5 grains of Unique.

If I was going out carrying a gun (where someone could say I was looking for trouble) I'd buy factory loads for it. If trouble comes looking for me in my house, I don't think the "legal nightmare" argument holds water.

If it comes down to a zombie shootout, I have hundreds of rounds of hot-loaded .38-44 handloads ready for my Marlin, and hundreds of rounds of milsurp .30-06 in 8-round clips for my M1. (the M1 is a bit much in town though, even for zombies)
Old November 21, 2008, 07:00 PM   #19
WESHOOT2

except the 22s

Yes.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:02 PM   #20
NWPilgrim

I use factory loads, mainly because I have a bunch left over from when I first started shooting and they are hollow-points. I fired a couple of hundred rounds per pistol to ensure reliability but after that no more. But I would not hesitate to use my reloads either.

My reloads are with cast lead SWC or RN bullets so not the best design for self defense. Also, all my reload brass is mixed together and I don't generally keep out any that are just once fired; or segregate by lot or brand (except military). But as far as reliability and such I fully trust my reloads.

If I planned to use reloads for defense I would want to buy some hollow points and set aside a couple hundred once-fired cases. I have never had to shoot any defense loads in self defense so the commercial ammo just sits there looking pretty. Meanwhile I shoot cast lead for fun and practice.

If SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens then I will be using my bulk reloads.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:02 PM   #21
rn22723

To each their own. People can lean either way. But, the only real street proven bullet available for reloading is the Speer Gold Dot and you can get some Golder Sabers. No Winchester or Federal stuff. Personally, I would not have a problem with reloading my own, but I really like Federal HST's. Streichers is local, and I can get 50ct boxes of good ammo @ decent prices.

I think there is merit to the guise of the legal point of view, and the factories have done a lot of testing with their ammo. But, a man or woman has to be comfortable with what they are doing....
Old November 21, 2008, 07:08 PM   #22
WESHOOT2

wonder how I got mine (I bought them)

I have numerous examples of 'factory' component bullets on my shelf, to include the 'street-proven' XTP-HP, Golden Sabers, SXTs, Gold Dots (even for the 41AE), Noslers, Sierras, and Remington JHPs.
And others.
Old November 21, 2008, 07:36 PM   #23
rwt101

Since I have 2 9x18 Makarov pistols there are not a lot of options in that caliper. Hornaday XTP is about the only hollow point.
Bob T
Old November 21, 2008, 07:45 PM   #24
nate45

I do.

Here is the last go round we had on it Who Carries Reloaded for Self Defense? If you would like to read it.

Those opposed on legal grounds make a good hypothetical argument, but actual legal cases of people being prosecuted civilly or criminally are almost non existent.

This post from The High Road by Massad Ayoob contains about all the actual cases there are
(Four) and one of them he cites didn't even involve hand loads.

Cases Where Handloads Caused Problems in Court by Massad Ayoob

The chances of handloads causing legal trouble are remote, but they do exsist .
Old November 22, 2008, 11:56 AM   #25
abber

I don't hunt, so I only know what my reloads will do to paper, for the most part. I feel it would be irresponsible of me to use my handloads for self defense. I am helped to reach these conclusions by reading up on the subject every time I get the opportunity. I could get too little or too much penetration. I figure the homework has been done on the factory loadings, especially the ones labeled "personal defense". Also, I figure this takes a huge piece of the responsibility off of me, were I to have to defend myself and prove justifiability in the use of lethal force.