The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 16, 2005, 03:12 PM   #1
TennesseeMedic

Yugo SKS, It keeps jamming!

Any help on why my Yugo SKS keeps jamming every round? Could it be the wolf ammo? Could it need more lubrication? Am I doing something wrong? I'd hate to be in combat with this rifle! It's 100% stock, no after market items at all. Any help from you good gentleman would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Doc
Old August 16, 2005, 03:39 PM   #2
kozak6

Did you get all of the cosmolene out of the action? What does it do when it jams? Does it fail to extract, stovepipe, or what?
Old August 16, 2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Cpl Punishment

Yugo SKS, jamming EVERY round?

My guess it would be the model with the grenade launcher and you have the gas system cut off, meaning no gas gets diverted to operate the action. It's a normal function of the gun and a quick flip of a lever resolves the situation.
Old August 16, 2005, 07:21 PM   #4
Limeyfellow

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...tsks/index.asp has photos and a guide to the gas valve on the Yugo SKS 59/66 if you can not find it and lots of other useful advice.
Old August 16, 2005, 07:34 PM   #5
281 Quad Cam

It is a very common problem, dont fret.

Typically it is a gas leak where the gas valve in the gas block, meets the gas tube/piston. Usually on the bottom side... Sometimes it will fail every once in a when there is some cosmoline residue still on it... But once you take it all down and hit it with carb cleaner all over to really clean it up - the jamming issue gets worse b/c the cosmoline sort of sealed it a little.

Most people fix this in a variety of cheap ways...

Some said they wrapped wire around the gas valve and than inserted the gas tube on it, as a tight fit. Some have done this with tin foil. Some are able to find crush rings or metal O rings that fit. And atleast 5 people ive heard from have used high temp gasket maker for cars.

I did the latter, and have slathered some gasket maker (RTV) on the end of the valve so its inside the gas block, and where it meets the gas tube, wiping off the excess. However I haven't taken it out to the range to see what happens yet... But I will make a post if its successful.

Im not sure, and im too cheap... but a new gas valve could solve this problem outright... But that requires mail ordering, and money... Make sure the gas valve is set to semi, and that its clean of cosmoline.
Old August 17, 2005, 09:59 AM   #6
TennesseeMedic

I knew that you guys would come through!

Thanks guys, I completely field stripped the rifle 2 days ago and successfully removed all the cosmoline with boiling water and carb cleaner. I must have forgotten to place the gas selector switch back to semi auto. I'll test fire it tomorrow when I get home from work. Again, thanks for all the feed back!

Doc
Old August 17, 2005, 11:03 AM   #7
jefnvk

The gas button should prevent the GL sights from coming up in semi-auto mode.
Old March 12, 2008, 10:00 AM   #8
gokuboy26

I had the same problem...

I first got a new gas valve, but this did not help.

then I tried an small o-ring (rubber),... this helped for about 30 rds and then the gas blew out the rubber...

I had read the RTV gasket maker stuff, so I tried it, and it worked for a few rounds, but eventually blew out as well... I

I'm currently going to try to find a new gas tube, as I'm guessing the problem is some corrosion on the end... I just need to find a cheap one... (hopefully around $20).

I supposed the metal o-rings, or wire, or aluminum foil might work too... but I'm tired of trying to "patch" it... so I'll try the new tube.
Old March 16, 2008, 08:32 PM   #9
[email protected]

I got the answer!!

Use it for a boat paddle-LOL!!!!!!!!!!