The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 18, 2002, 09:27 PM   #1
sleeping dog

NEF Rifled Shotgun?

Anybody have any experience with the NEF? I see a combo 12GA Rifled barrel and in-line muzzle loader for a reasonable price.

How's the trigger? Accuracy?

Thanks
Old October 19, 2002, 04:54 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A good friend has one with the 10 gauge bbl bored to 12 and rifled.He likes it greatly.

The trigger's heavy but clean. Since these are H*!! to take apart,I'd check the pull first, then maybe buy a shoe.

His is quite muzzle heavy, a good stand gun but a bit awkward for still hunting.

A couple of decades ago I had an H&R Huntsman, an inline ML built on that same break action frame. A 58 caliber,it shot well with a .570 round ball, a Butler Creek egg cup sabot and 80 gr of 3F. This took a couple meat deer for me and cleaned up fast for a ML. There was a downside...

The down side was that if the cap were not fully seated on the nipple, it could get pinched between the standing breech and the nipple, firing the cap.
Old October 19, 2002, 06:06 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

If they are as good as the rifles, they'll shoot. Dave is 'zactly right about the triggers. Test the gun in the shop before purchasing. Good friend has one in .223 and it consistently delivers sub MOA groups. The trigger has to be overcome for though - probably goes about 5.5 pounds. I've handled several that had nice 3 lb. triggers, so they are out there.
Old October 19, 2002, 09:56 PM   #4
Gopher

I bought one in 30.06 and then ordered a .223 and 3 inch 12 gauge slug barrel. I cant get down on the sights on the slug barrel. The gun just doesnt fit me with the 12 gauge barrel. Scoped with the rifle barrels its ok, go figure. Might want to check it out b4 ordering it.
Old October 20, 2002, 07:23 AM   #5
S.F.S

Here in Delaware those H & R Ultra Slug Hunters are used alot since there is no rifle hunting allowed here. I bought one a few weeks ago cause a friend has one and kind of talked me into getting one since his shot so well, instead of a 20" smooth bore deer barrel or a cantilever rifled barrel for my 870 that I originally wanted.
Anyways I had it about 2 weeks put a scope on it cleaned it up and never shot it and decided I wasn't happy with it and sold it and bought a used 20" smooth bore barrel with R.S. for my 870 and am happier... Next year I may get the cantilevered rifled barrel for my 870.

But otherwise the H & R's are very accurate and well built for the price but on the otherhand they are heavy..

Scott