The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 18, 2012, 01:13 PM   #26
Vermonter

G27G4 Owner Here

Have sveral k through mine as well and very very minimal scratching. My RSA can slip out of place if you reassemble it in a hurry other than that however it is fine. I find it very obvious when this happens because the pistol does not accemble correctly.

I would not pay shipping for repair on a new glock. If you had persisted I am sure you could have gotten a pass.

Regards, Vermonter
Old November 15, 2012, 08:55 AM   #27
JohnnieBush

Epilogue - NOW YOU KNOW THE REST OF THE STORY

Epilogue – A Happy Ending

I want to update everyone reading this forum on the outcome to my problem with my G27 Gen 4 Glock. After shipping the pistol off to Glock, which I wasn’t really authorized to do, - I had simply informed them that they were getting the pistol back and I asked them to evaluate the problem that I was having!

I shipped it FedEx overnight and had record of the receipt of the pistol at the Glock factory. Quite a while went by and on Day 29 I received a call from Lee at the Glock factory to discuss the problem. I asked him replace the damaged frame with a new frame, which I didn’t feel could be repaired to like new condition. With a little reluctance, I was told that he had to talk with his supervisor. The new frame was APPROVED!

I then discussed my cost of sending my new G27 back for repair. He told me that Glock would NOT pay for any of shipping costs to return my new pistol to the factory. But, he did offer to replace my sights with the Glock Night Sights to at least partially compensate me. So, that’s the story and we parted as friends, - no complaints about Lee.

Yesterday was my Glock’s Day 36 away from home, - a FedEx Truck arrived with the little box to sign for. What a happy looking little gun. I instantly took it apart to examine the new frame and viewed what looked like the brand new pistol that I had purchased the first week in October. Their packing list was straight forward, - INSPECTED, REPLACED FRAME, MEETS FACTORY SPECS, TESTED OK.

Now to the fun part! Lock myself in a dark room and look at the new Night Sights! (Better than telling time with a new Rolex) They look really nice to me!

Now to the real fun, - add some bullets and start shooting! I shot a box of 158 Gr. Federal Copper Jacket Solids without any malfunction in any way. Then I tried 25 of my own reloads, knowing full well that reloading is NOT APPROVED by Glock. I had spent an inordinate amount of time making sure that my 135 Grain JHP Nosler looked like factory ammo. I even went so far as taking each individual cartridge and dropping it in the chamber of my removed barrel. After hearing the happy little THUNK of the each cartridge bottoming out and then effortless falling out of what appears as a slightly over-sized chamber, I loaded of up the clips and started firing. Again, no surprises of any sort. The gun fired flawlessly every time and is deadly accurate at 25 yards!

I had noticed, upon inspecting the pistol, that there was little or no lubricant showing on the factory returned pistol. Yes, I know that this is NORMAL. On page 26 of my Glock manual, under the section on Cleaning the Field Stripped Pistol, there is a note under the SLIDE stating that the copper colored lubricant found on portions of the slide of a brand new GLOCK pistol should not be removed, as it will help in the long-term lubrication of the slide. Well, I didn’t find any of this copper based colloidal lubricate on my slide, so I added an extremely light coating of Nuclear Never Seize 2000, which is an anti-galling copper based lubricant to the slide rail. Now the gun looks like a brand NEW gun from the factory again!

Glock get’s Four and a Half Stars out of a possible Five Stars, - which is an outstanding GRADE! Had I received a cash reimbursement for my return shipping cost of the new gun, I would have chosen to award them the full 5th STAR.

Regardless, I am 100% satisfied with the gun at this time.
JohnnieBush
Old November 15, 2012, 10:37 AM   #28
Noreaster

My G33 is all gouged up from the RSA. I've had it for over ten years and no problems.
Old November 15, 2012, 02:15 PM   #29
9mm

I think you didn't put the recoil spring in all the way. They warned me about this when I got my Glocks. It has to be put all the way in on the barrel or it(spring) will hang low and damage reciver.
Old November 15, 2012, 06:04 PM   #30
JohnnieBush

200 Rounds on the New Frame

Further Update, - Spent my second afternoon shooting the newly repaired G27 Glock and have managed to reach my 200 round threshold. Yes, I know this gun is still a babe in the woods! Although I was told that the gouging was once normal, the new NORMAL leaves the frame unscathed in any way, what a pleasant surprise.

I was so excited after returning home that I ignored my better judgment and cleaned the little baby. I probably used some unauthorized solvent (like Hoppe’s #9) and some Rem Oil for lubrication, but the pistol hasn’t dissolved yet! A little bit of Baby Rem oil goes a long way.

I’ve attached a couple of photos to document the lack of abuse on the new frame. I wish all stories had a happened ending.

Thanks again to GLOCK!

Respectfully,
JohnnieBush
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glock A.jpg (100.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Glock 27 - B.jpg (100.9 KB, 12 views)
Old November 15, 2012, 07:01 PM   #31
ScotchMan

I think you can go ahead and take the factory recommendations (no reloads, what cleaner and oil to use) with a really big grain of salt. They say no reloads to cover their asses in case you blow up the gun or any number of things goes wrong. Thousands of people shoot millions of reloads through their Glocks with no issue.

You still do need to use jacketed bullets due to the polygonal rifling in the barrel.

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old November 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #32
Silent Bob

Never heard of Hoppe's #9 being called an unauthorized solvent for Glocks
Old November 16, 2012, 09:38 PM   #33
bitttorrrent

Glad to hear your problem resolved, but still a pain on a new gun. Nobody can be happy when that happens.

I have about 56 rounds threw my new G17, but had a problem with reloads on the last 6!

Quote:
Now to the real fun, - add some bullets and start shooting! I shot a box of 158 Gr. Federal Copper Jacket Solids without any malfunction in any way. Then I tried 25 of my own reloads, knowing full well that reloading is NOT APPROVED by Glock
So on two occasions, the slide would not go into battery because of my old crappy reloads. They were just round nose lead bullets, but they just did not work. Should I not have used these in a glock?

I took out the one that was so stuck that me, the range officer and an on site gun smith looked at it with the round stuck. I managed to keep pulling on it till it got unstuck.

I did however shoot most of the 300 some rounds through my Baretta PX4 with no problem inlcuding the one that was stuck in the Glock.
Old November 19, 2012, 08:09 AM   #34
JohnnieBush

My Father Didn't Raise ANY fools!

I have about 56 rounds threw my new G17, but had a problem with reloads on the last 6!

So on two occasions, the slide would not go into battery because of my old crappy reloads. They were just round nose lead bullets, but they just did not work. Should I not have used these in a glock?

I took out the one that was so stuck that me, the range officer and an on site gun smith looked at it with the round stuck. I managed to keep pulling on it till it got unstuck.

I did however shoot most of the 300 some rounds through my Baretta PX4 with no problem inlcuding the one that was stuck in the Glock.

Bitttorrrant

------------------------------------------------------

Bitttorrrent,

During my life there are a few things that I have decided, CONSCIOUSLY, that I didn't want to do. I didn't do drugs, didn't fly a plane after drinking, and I decided not to use lead bullets in my Glock. (There are a few others!)

Glock says that your NOT supposed to because of their Polygonal rifling and excessive leading. Now I take everything with a grain of salt. I think that you can probably get away with doing it, IF you clean your barrel with a good lead removing bore cleaner after every trip to the range. And, I'd really watch any swaging that I did to lead bullets after seating them for your little Glock.

It sounds like you don't shoot a LOT, and how much money can you possibly save if you don't shoot a lot.

So, my answer is, - do it if you want to, "Your Big Now" - Don't load the powder charges up too heavy, don't put any type of rolled crimp on the bullet, and clean the bore super good after every trip to the range. You might even make sure each of your reloads fits the chamber with a nice clearance and falls out easily BEFORE firing the pistol.

That's it, - I'm not doing it, but lots of people drive drunk too.

Stay safe,
JohnnieBush

Last edited by JohnnieBush; November 19, 2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old November 19, 2012, 09:49 AM   #35
bitttorrrent

I know it does not save a lot, but had the press and everything, so just wanted to get a 9mm round down so i could crank out a few thousand.

I don't shoot a lot, but that is changing as I have gotten back into guns and added and adding to my collection.

I will test the next round out in the barrel - we did try a few in the barrel on the first couple we did - so I will do that if I run any more through the Glock.

In the future I will switch to fmj. I just like them better anyway, but I had a lot of lead stock from my mentor Father so that is why I was using in the Glock.

And the several times I have landed and taken off in a small plan - with Pilot next to me - I was not anywhere near being drunk. But landing in 30 knots in North Carolina that one time made me wish I was because that scared the heck out of me!

Tags
damage , g27 , polymer , recoil spring , rsa