The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 2, 2009, 10:08 PM   #1
wickedrider

Beaten Man Says 911 Dispatcher Had Him Return To Scene

I am not sure if this is a repeat post. It's a couple of years old. I find it unbelievable. But it tends to support the position of those who argue that you are not justified in firing a weapon to frighten would be attackers.

I still find it incredible.

http://www.wftv.com/news/14212792/de...=orlc&psp=news
Old July 2, 2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Zombi

Thats a messed up situation. I think the man did the right thing.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #3
wickedrider

First, I think that he should have asked dispatch whether she was out of her mind. Seriously, I know that he was shaken up, but should have talked to a supervisor. His gut was telling him not to go back there.

But after he went by there at the insistence of the dispatcher, I can't believe that they would even consider charging him. Maybe, it was a CYA situation with the Department.
Old July 2, 2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Ricky B

Quote:
"I said, 'Please don't make me go back there, because they're still there,'" he said.
Who is stupider, the idiot dispatcher or the victim for following the "instructions" of the idiot dispatcher?

Word to the clueless. If you think something is dangerous, don't do it. Even if an "authority figure" tells you to do it.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:03 AM   #5
TailGator

In some jurisdictions, including Florida, you can be charged for not following the directions of a police officer. Does a 911 dispatcher have the same status? If so, the poor fellow could conceivably be in a Catch 22. (Even then, misdemeanor is better than dead, though.)

The guys who beat him up are lucky that they weren't dealing with some of the TFL posters who profess the desire to, shall we say, shoot as quickly as the law would allow.
Old July 3, 2009, 10:27 AM   #6
djohn

Both where wrong, the dispatcher for telling the victim to return to the scene of the crime where he was assulted and the victim for listening to some bad advice.I wonder if the dispatcher would have told a attempted rape victim to return to the scene of the crime.

The fact the man returned and then discharged his weapon and if he had killed any one of the perps it could have looked to be a vigilante killing and the perp would have become the victim. Stupid is Stupid does.
Old July 3, 2009, 04:23 PM   #7
KCabbage

Yeah...i'll go back to the scene. I'll be in the brown dumpster about 100 yards away overlooking "the scene".