The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1
Skans

Gun Show Update....

I attended a gun show (central Florida) this weekend. Here are my Observations:

1. Lots of AR15's for sale - both inside the show and several folks outside the show trying to sell theirs. AR15 parts were abundant also - I didn't see anything you couldn't get for an AR15.

2. More people than usual trying to sell stuff outside of the show where folks stand in line.

3. The line was almost normal - a little longer, but not the mile long line of a couple months ago.

4. Several dealers complaining about the show being "slow" or not much buying going on, even though attendance was still very high.

5. No more Chinese Eotech knock-offs - I think Eotech has gone on an all-out offensive combating these, although I like the one I have - good enough for my purposes. But, I wouldn't buy another one.

6. Guns that I DID NOT see were; Sig 556's, MSAR's, PTR-91; few M1A's. I did see some FAL builds that I didn't much care for.

7. Still lots of bolt-action hunting rifles - fair to good prices, but they were older rifles.

8. Several dealers selling the Kel Tec KSG shotguns - first time I've been able to fondle one. Oh yeah, I want one!!! But, not at the $2,000 price tag they had on them.

9. Large capacity magazines were abundant, except for Sig handguns in 9mm. Lots of Glock drums selling for about $150. I even saw some quad-stack AR 60 round magazines - $120 was the price for one of those.

10. I saw a number of dealers selling the new Sturmgewehr's in .22LR. Priced at around $600 (I know they sell for quite a bit less). However, these things are simply beautiful to look at!! I don't know how they shoot. I was very tempted to start haggling on one, but passed for now.

11. Ammo (even reloading supplies and some primers) was abundant, but at ridiculous prices. Anywhere from $.75 - $1.00/round for .223 - including steel cased wolf. 9mm was selling for about $.50/round in bulk - don't know what kind. Very few people were buying any ammo.

12. Overall, prices were too high for the quantity of supply that was at the gun show. I think dealers bought "high" and are reluctant to take no profit or a loss on inventory they recently purchased.

Well, those are my "quick" observations for now. I think the overwhelming "glut" is just around the corner and those who are patient will find really good deals on AR's, AK builds, large capacity magazines and Wolf Ammo.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:51 AM   #2
EMN89

I don't know about the gun shows around here (I have avoided them) but one of the lgs now has quite a few .22 lr AR's and a 12 gauge AR I also saw a couple mosin nagants which is a first in at least 2 months. Ammo is still pretty scarce in most pistol and AR calibers.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:53 AM   #3
Skans

Yes, lots of .22LR AR's; also .22LR UZI's and other .22 based guns. None of them selling, however.
Old March 18, 2013, 08:58 AM   #4
EMN89

I saw a .22 lr m1 carbine but it had a $600 price tag and the price of .22 ammo is absolutely ridiculous it wasn't worth it. This particular store has federal 50 round box40 grain match ammo for $22 a box
Old March 18, 2013, 09:04 AM   #5
zincwarrior

Well thats awesome news. I'm not an AR buyer, but thats a nice indicator for the other firearms, and more importantly a rebound in ammo in the relative near term.

$25 for 9mm? Not bad, and by that I mean thats a nonstratospheric price point and also an indicator that the bullet bubble, is just that, a bubble.

I wonder if, when the bubble bursts, prices for a 6 shell Mossberg pump, or 9mm M&PL will be sweet abouts December time...
Old March 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #6
jrz_dad

some of the AR wannabes around here in SW Oklahoma seem to be reasonable in price...but getting the 22LR ammo is the real isssue....gun shows here seem to fall in line with that pricing too