The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 21, 2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

Savage Model 79

Today my friends dad was nice enough to give me his old Savage Model 79 pump action 12 gauge shotgun with a ventilated rib, engraving of birds, 28 inch barrel, and full choke. I just cleaned it and it has a very smooth action. I was wondering if anybody could give me some technical information, (the year(s) it was produced, how popular it was, what gauge they were chambered in, etc.) The serial number is E031523

Thanks, and any information will help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snapshot_20121221.JPG (13.9 KB, 110 views)
Old December 22, 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
PetahW

IIRC, they were made in the late 1970's and were part/parcel of the Savage/Stevens family of (same) slide-action/pump shotguns with various model numbers, like M-30, M-67, M-79, and others, depending upon what the decision-makers at the factory felt like doing with a particular run, and what gauge the gun was being produced in.

The "family" of pumpguns was, of course, popular - since Savage most likely made them in the millions - but nobody knows for sure exactly how many.

The reason they were so will-nilly, is that Savage/Stevens has long had a history of concealing their actual production numbers, and (ergo) profits from everybody outside the company (including the US Gov't, tax dept's, etc) - why (generally) SN records are unavailable from the factory.

This ought to be technical enough for you: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...3/79-41388.htm

Last edited by PetahW; December 22, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old December 25, 2012, 12:48 AM   #3
Mauser8mm

Thank You!

I really appreciate it, today I shot skeet with it, and it was jamming a whole bunch. I finally figured out (because I disassembled it to the best of my knowledge and cleaned it) that I had put the ejector in backwards! Easy mistake! So I fixed it, then shot and tested the action, and it cycled beautifully! Well I really appreciate the extremely detailed response!

Oh, and if anyone could find a guide for proper disassembly, it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Mauser8mm; December 25, 2012 at 12:55 AM.

Tags
12 gauge , full choke , pump , pump action , shotgun