The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2012, 06:34 PM   #1
EnderW23

set up

So I just built my reloading bench today and I'm very happy with it. It may be small but I only have limited room in my two bedroom apartment. Now all I need is my lyman tmag kit to come in and I will be ready to go I already have all my reloading supplies just waiting on the press. I really hope it gets here tomorrow I'm pretty pumped. I atached a picture of my bench below let me know what you guys think and ill post a picture in a couple of days once I get completly set up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0207121738.jpg (243.9 KB, 72 views)
Old February 7, 2012, 06:37 PM   #2
Kayser

Looks good! Make sure to get some good lighting in there though. You want to have a nice bright patch of light in the case mouths to eyeball the powder before seating the bullets.
Old February 7, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
EnderW23

I told my fiancee that same thing that I needed light ... ill have to figure out the situation though because the closest outlet is like 10 feet away ... poor planning on the designer of the buildings part
Old February 7, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
trap4570

Kinda cramped but I'm sure the excitement of being able to reload will overcome all. I have an old oak log that is normally used for a tall stool in my back room that I use when the weather is cold. I just scoot it beside a coffee table and bolt the press to the log and use the coffee table for the scales and other stuff. It just proves that where there is a will-there is a way.
Old February 7, 2012, 07:11 PM   #5
GTOne

Yep, nice little set-up right there.

Run a power strip to it, you'll find plenty of things to plug in to it eventually.
Old February 7, 2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Lost Sheep

Nice work. Some suggestions:

If your scale is a balance beam, a shelf at eye level (so reading it is easy) for your powder scale, mounted to the wall so no movement of the bench will affect it's zero or induce wear on the pivots might be nice.

If your scale is electronic, mounting the shelf a little lower would probably be better, but keep flourescent fixtures away from it. Some scales are affected by the electromagnetic emanations.

Nice carpentry. Are you going to seal it against lubricant spills?

Lost Sheep
Old February 7, 2012, 10:40 PM   #7
GTOne

Quote:
Are you going to seal it against lubricant spills?
Good point, oils and graphite will make a big mess. I used a couple of coats on minwax polyurethane on my bench top, just for easy wiping off of any crud...
Old February 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #8
dunerjeff

One of those desktop lamps would work nicely in there.Mount it to the back wall so it doesn't take up bench space,put in one of the new "daylight"spectrum compact flourecent bulbs and you'll have plenty-o-light.Definately put up a seperate shelf for whatever scale you use,no matter what/where your loading bench is.Its always best to seperate it from the press vibrations.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:27 PM   #9
EnderW23

i have an electronic scale, and i have not completely decided on the light situation. i have thought about using wood putty on the top because the top is actually three separate pieces and then putting some kind of protective coat on it.

I really appreciate all of your suggestions, as i am new to reloading any suggestions are great.
Old February 7, 2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Scharfschuetzer

A few shelves, first starting at eye level for your scale with a light under it would be good. The more shelves I put up the more I need. Not sure how that works, but it seems to be a constant in my war room.
NRA Police Distinguished Expert
Old February 7, 2012, 11:52 PM   #11
EnderW23

shelves

the one good thing about shelves is that i pretty well have it take care of. the brown thing setting next to my reloading bench is a book shelf