The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 21, 2012, 08:16 PM   #26
SteelChickenShooter

Sarge knows.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:21 PM   #27
Madcap_Magician

One of the big Ruger custom smiths had a blog post up complaining about quality control on this year's SP101s. He said he was seeing some pretty rough ones.

Honestly I think the Rugers are kind of like the Springfield Armory GI guns. Attractive in a plain way, functional, well-priced... and fantastic base guns for custom work.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:47 AM   #28
j3ffr0

I bought a 4" SP101 earlier this year. Yes - the hammer spur is pretty sharp, but my fingers are tough enough. I liked it well enough that I bought three more Rugers since then (rifle and 2 handguns).
Old November 22, 2012, 09:02 AM   #29
SteelChickenShooter

New Model Super Blackhawk Update

There was a post about getting the knack of installing a SA cylinder. I just took apart the longer model 806 handgun for it's first cleaning and removal of the yellow plastic disc. I didn't have to fuss with it at all. The cylinder & pin just seemed to fall into place and re-installing was a snap. Not the same at all compared to the other shorter model 804 version.
Old November 24, 2012, 10:57 AM   #30
Axelwik

My Rugers have been good guns.

Sharp edges? I guess some people have soft hands.
Old November 25, 2012, 01:39 PM   #31
SteelChickenShooter

Range Report

Adjusted the sights on the two new Ruger Super Blackhawks and did get the job done. But noticed the rear sight was sloppy. The rear sight did not move smoothly and consistently as one would expect. Hits didn't make sense until I watched how the rear sight failed to respond to the turning of the adjustment screw. The rear blade would come up, then stay the same, then drop a bit, then resume coming up some more. I blamed my brother for being a poor shot after raising the point of impact and he hit in the same low place. That's when I examined how poorly the rear sight responded to the turning of the adjustment screw. I expected each turn of the screw to raise the hole on the paper but it didn't work that way. The 10.5 inch model needed the rear sight raised a lot. The 7.5 inch model didn't need to be raised much at all.
A grip change to a rubber Hogue is certainly in order. Don't like and have no use for the standard factory grip. I don't like my hold having no place for that pinkie to wrap around. And that hard wood & steel stings the hand after multiple shots needed to sight in. I have no doubt these are serious deer takers. And certainly you don't fire shot after shot in the field like you might at the range. I began with cheap shoot-em-up 44 Mags to get in the ballpark. Then went to Winchester hunting rounds from there. So far, nobody replied to my other post in the hunting section about a better choice of ammo.
Old November 25, 2012, 06:34 PM   #32
Salmoneye

When adjusting the elevation of the rear sight on a BH/SBH, you have to go completely to the next 'click'...

If you do not go to the 'click', you have effectively depressed the rear sight to below where you started turning from...
Old November 25, 2012, 08:12 PM   #33
SteelChickenShooter

Yeah, I understand. In my case the "clicks" didn't seem to be there. Mushy at best. Not distinct. And certainly not crisp like I find on other revolvers. Maybe I was guilty of leaving the screw in between detents while dialing in.
Old November 25, 2012, 10:35 PM   #34
mrt949

If you have extra money for christmas get a set of HAMILTON BOWEN SIGHTS.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:41 PM   #35
SteelChickenShooter

Replacing the factory wood with the rubber Hogue grip was the right move for me. I get a much better grab. I also added a low cost Hunter brand holster from Midway. My deer hunting season has not ended yet so I'm looking forward to a conventional holster carry and much more secure grip when those Remington 44 Mag hollowpoints go off.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:38 PM   #36
bedbugbilly

I like Rugers . . . I must, I own six of 'em. But if I am going to buy a firearm - a pistol, rifle or shotgun . . . I much prefer to examine it in person before I purchase it to make sure it meets my expectations . . . regardless of the make. That's not to say I haven't made a purchase online . . . I have . . a Python, a vintage S & W M & P Target and a vintage Colt Army Special. But, they were from a dealer I've dealt with and that I trust . . . and those have been with the understanding that there is a return policy if not as described of if I'm not satisfied. And let's face it, those were pretty safe bets and in the long run, a safe gamble. Any manufacturer, make or model can have a problem though especially newly manufactured - that's why i much prefer to see it before purchase.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63