The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 07:42 AM   #1
wizzamen

Panic prices

I recently posted a couple of firearms for sale on another website at panic prices. I had some guy email me, ripping me a new one. I did not respond to the guy, what good would it have done.

I was not thinking of selling anything, but if people are willing to pay these higher prices, I want to take advantage of this opportunity. I believe gun prices are astronomically high, but some people are impatient and not willing to wait for this silliness to subside. I'm just following the laws of supply and demand.

How many of you have contemplated selling at panic pricing?

I'm I a bad guy for trying to make a buck?
Old February 10, 2013, 07:44 AM   #2
DiscoRacing

Guess some would think its bad.. but you didnt set the current market price.. its not your fault the prices are sky high.. have to go with your conscience on this one
Old February 10, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3
TheNatureBoy

I have not "contemplated selling at panic pricing." You are not a "bad guy for trying to make a buck." If your asking price is more than I want to pay I simply move on.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:01 AM   #4
UtopiaTexasG19

Some folks have forgotten that this is still a free market country and one can offer up any product/item at any price. The market will determine whether it sells or does not. You are not arm twisting anyone to buy what you have. It is yours until a agreed price is met. The whiners are the ones that were caught with their pants down. We knew something like this event would happen eventually years ago and we all know another event that will skyrocket prices due to supply and demand will eventually happen again.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
I consider you people opportunists. I'd eat dinner with you, but wouldn't want you dating my sister.

At the start of this thing I pulled my ARs out of the safe and contemplated doing the same thing. I fondled my unfired Sig 716 and 5 Pmags, but I just didn't have the heart.

There's a little opportunist in us all.
Old February 10, 2013, 10:57 AM   #6
wizzamen

So far, I like all the posts. True wisdom in this forum.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Buford_Tannen

If I owned any black guns I would consider selling them and replacing in the future. If you own a stock or other property and it goes up in value, do you consider selling? Of course you do. Guns are the same as any other asset your have.

Now, if I had combined "fondling" and "sister" from a previous comment - this would have been truly inappropriate as compared to selling in demand guns.
Old February 10, 2013, 04:01 PM   #8
2ndsojourn

It's no different than deciding to sell your house at the top end of the real estate bubble. Enough people did it and you didn't hear anyone complaining. If someone wants to pay an inflated price, let 'em.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:56 PM   #9
S_Constitutionist

Buyers set prices. Too high? No sales. Too low? Sells too quickly.

Its a very simple concept. Some may believe that there are "good" sellers and "bad" sellers, but the simple fact is pricing is ultimately determined by the guy with the cash.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:02 PM   #10
PlungerLips

Pretty basic rule if you're selling something: "How much ya want for that?" My reply: All I can get" Seriously though, as some others have stated, you didn't set the going rate, so there's no harm in asking that price.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:13 PM   #11
nazshooter

If someone doesn't want to pay your price they are no worse off then if you hadn't put it up for sale at all. If someone does want to pay your price then they are obviously better off with your item than their money.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old February 11, 2013, 05:19 PM   #12
huntinaz

Supply and demand, some people understand it, some don't. I get so sick of the term "gouging." Just because it's twice the price it was 6 months ago doesn't mean someone isn't willing to pay it. You can't be mad at a seller for listing an item at a price someone else is willing to pay, just because you want it for less.

I've listed a few things locally (mags and primers), most definitely inflated, and sold a fair amount of it. Most of the buyers made it a point to thank me several times for letting it go, as they were out and couldn't get it anywhere else. They were glad to pay the higher price. The guys who email me saying I'm an "A-hole for gouging" can go kick rocks, and they still don't have any primers

Quote:
Short answer: no, you're a smart for not letting it go for less than it's worth.
Old February 11, 2013, 05:31 PM   #13
bumnote

Quote:
How many of you have contemplated selling at panic pricing?
Yes, I have and may still sell my AR due to the higher prices. If that makes me an opportunist so be it. My Rock-Ola M1 carbine was purchased for around $50 by my dad decades ago...so I should sell it (not that I would) for $50 today? That's ridiculous, you sell items at prices you can get for it at the time you sell.
If I should sell my AR, I'll price it for what I see similar AR's going for...I'd be stupid not to.

The one thing to remember...if you want to replace it later, you might be paying the same price or more.
Old February 11, 2013, 10:37 PM   #14
wet

I listed a worn out derringer 22lr, holster, and box of shells on line. I have had a dozen calls wanting to buy the shells.