The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 2, 2015, 10:36 PM   #1
C17A

Gun Movie: Assembly

If you like movies with guns in them, watch Assembly (2007), Chinese movie about the Chinese Civil War, set in 1948.

If you're a gun buff, you'll see many different military weapons used by both the rag-tag PLA and the Nationalists as they fight each other. Has a gritty reality in the fighting scenes.

Wikipedia description:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_%28film%29

It's on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggpoFDnywWc
Old May 2, 2015, 11:16 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks. I'll save it for tomorrow night.
Old May 3, 2015, 09:02 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Saw it. What a logistical nightmare for that unit. Pedersen rifles, Mauser 98s, I thought I saw a 03 Springfield, various SMGs of different calibers.

The faux M-26 looked good and straight on shots it was convincing. Then from a flank shot you knew it was a mock up. The bogie wheels were just wrong and it's nope, nope, nope. I'll have to figure out what they built it on. The faux M-4A3E8 was very bad and unconvincing.

Went through John Milsom's Russian Tanks 1900-1970 and I think it is a AT-L Artillery Tractor (p153). Five large bogies with holes between the spokes.
Old May 3, 2015, 10:04 PM   #4
C17A

Good eyes--there were a few 03 Springfields. They fought with what they had.

I'm on the lookout myself for authentic hardware on the screen. In "The Bridge Over the River Kwai" the Japanese were armed with Enfield No. 4 Mk 1s...that might not have been a goof since the Japanese used captured weapons in secondary locations.

What gets me is seeing a movie set in WW1 and the soldiers are using M1903A3 Springfields, complete with peep sight...like in the movie "The Wild Bunch."

Of course, to the average movie-going public it's not an issue. They wouldn't notice that many a WW2 German tank on the screen is really an M48 Patton. The movie crews have to use what they can get.

I can always tell when they use fake dinosaurs in movies.
Old May 5, 2015, 06:44 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Chinese had an absolute mishmash of weapons at that time... Japanese, French, British, American, German, and Russian.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.